Logo

Flushing 318

opie77

"greeting gents;
is it possib

"greeting gents;
is it possible there is a method to back flush my 318's to remove any debris that has accumulated in water jacket, my starboard has been giving me problems overheating and i am thinking i might have some internal blockage thanks 1970 trojan h-boat, paridise found"

"I assume this is a raw water

"I assume this is a raw water cooled motor? If so, just remove the drain plugs in the block and run it for a few minutes. You could do the same for a F W Cooled motor, long as you keep dumping water in the exchanger.

Jeff"

"Steven - I've had issues

"Steven - I've had issues with sand building up in my block. I bought a couple of plumbing fittings that thread into the block drain holes. The other end of the fittings is a hose barb (maybe 3/8th). I inserted a fitting into each side of the block and connected compressed air to one and a shop vac to the other. The adaptor I made for the shop vac used a clear hose and I could see sand being sucked out. A note: I’d drained the block and blew compressed air through it the weekend before this process……to give the sand/silt a week or so to dry as much as possible.

While this process worked well for fine sand and sediment, I’m not sure it’ll do much for heavier buildup.

If you do, in fact, have some cooling blockage, it could also be the result of rusting in the smaller, head-to-block passages."

That's a neat idea. If yo

That's a neat idea. If you shot compressed air in the drain holes while runnign the motor it would really clean that sucker out. I used to clean out RV radiators that way.

Jeff

Back