Logo

2001 Merc 5hp 4 stroke issue

bzvw3l

"I have a 2001 Merc 5hp 4 stro

"I have a 2001 Merc 5hp 4 stroke, it only has about 5 hours on it. I believe the carbs were clogged from fuel left in the carbs for long period of time, cleaned in spring with GUMOUT and it ran fine. I then ran the fuel out of it in the spring. Last week while winterizing it, it started fine, ran it for about 2 minutes and it stalled. It would start again, but after putting in gear about a minute or two later, it stalled. It kept doing this, any suggestions as to what's causing this? This motor is used only as an insurance policy on big water in case the main motor was to ever go down."

"This is fresh gas, the fuel l

"This is fresh gas, the fuel line for this motor comes out of main main gas tank. I put a fuel filter and shut off valve in the fuel line going to the 5hp. A friend asked if its possible there is an air leak in that fuel line. i dont beleive there is."

"ok well after it had set for

"ok well after it had set for a while did you take off the carb and rebuild it. Just because you used gumout and carb cleaner doesn't mean that it trully cleaned it completely. It's possible for an airleak, go back over what you did and make sure that there are hose clamps at ALL connections and make sure they are tight."

"No unfortunately I don't

"No unfortunately I don't have the technical ability to rebuild it. I spoke with a dealer, he said he replaces the carbs on the 5hp due to the jets being so small, he can never get them running correctly by rebuilding. I thought after i used Quickclean and Gumout and it starting running fine, it was fixed. I will go back over what i did and see if it's an airleak, although i dont think thats the problem."

"It is an easy carb to service

"It is an easy carb to service.The jets on many Japanese motors are very small, so they can clog easily. Usually I can use welding tip cleaners to clear out a jet, but on these motors I use root canal files that I get from my dentist. They have a tiny diameter and are very strong."

Back