Logo

b88 90 HP Johnson dies when pushed beyond 2500 rpm

p51drvr

"Just had both carbs rebuilt,

"Just had both carbs rebuilt, a new VRO oil pump, new spark plugs and new fuel lines.

Took it out on the lake today, and everytime the throttle was advanced beyond 2300 - 2500 rpms it would stall.

Mechanic was near, and came out to trouble shoot. 4 new plugs, and a new fuel line (from tank to bulb line), and problem remained.

Left the boat with mechanic. Says it could be loosing spark on high rpm demand. Dual system on a '88 90 Model?

What say ye??

Thanks!!!"

"Sounds more like the main-jet

"Sounds more like the main-jets in one or both carbs are not 'starting'.
Remove all (4) main-jets from carb, and clean manually and blow with compressed air..
Float-level correct set?"

"Great!

I'll get in tou

"Great!

I'll get in touch with mechanic! Fuel seemed logical, but the rebuild probably stopped that direction. Worth a look!"

"Are your gas tanks vented? co

"Are your gas tanks vented? could be vacqum lock in tank starving fuel to carbs, air leak in gas line to carbs, sucks air at high demand?
Just a quess
Tim"

"i agree w/jamie and morty,how

"i agree w/jamie and morty,however,...if the carbs are dirty,they're dirty,and should be disassembled,to clean properly,and get it wking w/out furthur carb problems."

"Hey Folks!

It did go back

"Hey Folks!

It did go back to the mechanic. Sure nuff, it was the high speed jets. Larry (mechanic) said the note with the carb kits suggested the high speed jets should be ok, but he went back in, and they were not. Replaced and set, and the motor/boat runs great. Set of spark plugs for the trouble (he was embarrased for the miss), and I was on my way. I have never worked on a boat motor (cars yes, tractors yes, 2 cycle and 4 cycle motor, etc...) but this site can make it possible. Thanks!"

Back