Logo

93 mercury 99 kicker rebuild

"Can anyone give me a rough es

"Can anyone give me a rough estimate on what it might cost to do a top end rebuild on this motor. I have 85 and 90 on compression and it drinks fuel, fouls plugs, leaves a black ring on the back of my boat, and and has next to no power. Rebuild to include new pistons, rings, bearings, honing and/or boring, and labor to remove and replace all the above mentioned."

"Richard,Please note user name

"Richard,Please note user name,but I would go for rings,bearings,a honing and DIY,otherwise attach chain,rope and use as anchor
rofl.gif
."

I dont think it needs a rebuil

I dont think it needs a rebuild i think the compressions fine and im sure your engine has decompression ports hence the comp readings...i would think you have a fuel problem like the fuel plunger not sealing and allowing excess fuel into the engine.

"There may be "decompressi

"There may be "decompression ports" on that motor--the Yamaha designed Merc 25 has them--but that's not your problem. The rings are shot, and the bore may be too (for it to read that low). I'd advise looking around for another 9.9 power head on eBay. You see them now and then from motor that rapped an LU on a rock.

Jeff"

"The carb and fuel pump have b

"The carb and fuel pump have been rebuilt by marine shop. Also has new tank and lines, as the auto blend is disconnected. With compression numbers at 85 and 90 I (and others) agree its time to rebuild.
One question...is something that I can do at home with a manual and no special tools. I got a quote from a retired marine mechanic that would do it for $600-800 and he said no $800 at worst case. This included parts, labor, and machining."

"It's not a bad "home&

"It's not a bad "home" job--IF you're familiar with rebuilding small motors, and IF have the tools. If not, I'd look for a good powerhead on eBay first, one that came from a motor with a mashed lower unit. (They're out there.) Much cheaper.

Jeff"

Back