Logo

671 with fuel problems

jfrye

"the 6-71 in my boat, the prob

"the 6-71 in my boat, the problems started as what i tought was just clogged fuel filters, i have tried almost everything from replacing all the fuel lines and valves, i pumped out all the fuell off the boat, filtered it and pumped it back on and trash in the fuel wasn't what I tought from my old steel tanks. Then i found Im getting air somewhere i have tried many things and bleeding the injector lines, its still getting air in the 3 and 4 cylinder injector lines. Cause it will crank up and run but surges real bad. it might drop 50rpms or even up to 200+ rpms but will pick back up. I have been messing around with this for over two weeks.
Has anyone been through this problem and knows how to help me

-Jeff"

Hydraulic or mechanical govern

Hydraulic or mechanical governor? What's your fuel pressure at idle? At full load? Check to make sure there's not a lot of slack in the rod going from the governor to the fuel rack.

"High people! I'm getting

"High people! I'm getting alot of gray and dark smoke steaming from the wharf at 1500 rpm with my 6-71 engine. It has 12,000 hours. when idling it wont smoke until I give it some fuil. After 25 minutes of steaming the smoke dies down, 1800 rpm. Would any one have any suggestions. THX Alex."

"Usually gray smoke is unburne

"Usually gray smoke is unburned fuel.

How long do you let it idle? The cylinders will load up with fuel if you let it idle at the dock for an extended period of time. After you idle for a while, you'll probably see the exhaust get wet. Even our freshly rebuilt engines will do that. When you leave the dock after idling for a long time, it'll smoke incredibly...but clear up completely after a while of running hooked up.

The smoke "dies down" meaning it stops completely? Or just smokes less?

If the smoke stops, I wouldn't worry about anything being wrong with your engine. If it smokes, but not as bad, I'd take a look at the injectors and the cylinder kits. Has the engine been losing more oil than normal?"

"Jimmy, It has been loosing so

"Jimmy, It has been loosing some oil. I'm on down time from fishing and we have been idling at wharf every other day. My season starts up on the 30th ot this month and we go all out 10 to 16 hours a day. Maybe I should change my injectors. But it has been loosing some oil. Our last steam 4 weeks ago was 24 hours and we lost a leter of oil. Is that normal?"

"According to my field service

"According to my field service data book, it's actually better than normal. 6-71's normally lose 1.5 liters of oil every 10 hours at 2300 RPM and .75 liter every 10 hours at 1400 RPM."

That's good to know. I tho

That's good to know. I thought there was something wrong with one liter. I'll keep checking the oil each time I go out and I'll keep a log on how much oil I use. I'll keep you informed. THX again.

Back