Logo

125 Mariner Ignition prob

rick50

"Was idling motor when motor s

"Was idling motor when motor suddenly stopped and would not crank. After about 15 minutes motor started again and then stopped again and would not crank.took cover off and seen no obviuos problems, so after about 30 minutes tried to start again and it started, this time i put it in forward and gave it the gas , at first it hesitated, like on two clyinders and then it ran on all 4 and i made it back to the launch.
and it has started every time I cranked it at home.
It has the replacement red stator #398-832075-a3.
Was thinking about replacing the stator with a cdi replacement ,but not sure which one to replace it with.
Any ideas?"

I forgot to ask . My manual sa

I forgot to ask . My manual says i need a dva meter to check the switch box. Can i use a regular digital meter to check these parts?

"to me it sounds like a carb/f

"to me it sounds like a carb/float stuck and flooded the engine. Thats why it started after sitting and ran on 2 cyl for a while. You need to rule out the spark problem next time. You can take a timing light with you, put it on each plug wire and check to see if it flashes if the problem happens again. I would remove and clean carbs just for fun if it were mine."

Thanks for the advice...But I

Thanks for the advice...But I was thinking something may have heated up in the stator or switch box just enough to break contact and kill the engine and after a while cooled down enough to make contact again.

Has anyone heard that mariners were notorius for going through switch boxes?

"How about a 95 Merc 25 spark

"How about a 95 Merc 25 spark box? The motor will fire right up and run fine for 10 to 20 seconds, then start missing until it dies. Let it cool overnight and away we go again!

Jeff"

The red stator was notorious f

The red stator was notorious for repeated problems. Even Merc gave up on it. They now sell the CDI ignition components for these engines.

You need CDI #174-2075K 2.

You should probably use a new CDI regulator also.

You said would not crank .Does

You said would not crank .Does this mean wont start or motor wont turnover?.

"Thanks , Tony I was wondering

"Thanks , Tony I was wondering witch stator to get a mechanic told me to go with the cdi stator but wasn t sure of the number ..........this cdi stator has two yellows and a green/white and a white green wires,the same colored wires that are on the existing red stator, but do these wires go into the black box that came with the red stator?

Robert, the motor would not start."

"Well took motor out again , r

"Well took motor out again , ran good out to fishing spot slowed down to idle and motor killed would not restart...this time i checked for spark and did not have any on all 4 clys. waited about 30 minutes and motor started gave it the gas and ran good at high speed slowed down to an idle and guess what motor killed and would not restart.......waited about 30 minutes motor started and ran good rest of the trip.."

Back