Logo

2000 Suzuki twin outboard DT 150 port engine wonbt start

thecow18

"I currently have twin Suzuki

"I currently have twin Suzuki DT150 on my boat and I am having issues starting my port engine. The port engine cranks strong but there seems to be no spark coming from the spark plugs. I was out in the water running fine when I stop the engines to fish. When I tried to start it back up the port engine would not start. I took the boat to the dealer and they replaced the ignition switch and it started fine. The next time I took it to the water, the exact same thing happened. I turned the engines off and when I tried to turn them back on the port engine would not start. The same issue, it cranks really strong but there is no spark coming from the plugs. I returned it to the dealer and now they say it is the CDI (engine control unit). Does this sound like the cause of the problem or could it be a bad ground somewhere?

Thanks for your help."

"I swithced the cdi from the s

"I swithced the cdi from the starboard motor to the port motor and it still did not start up. I installed the port cdi into the startboard motor and it started up so it is not the cdi. I returned it to the suzuki dealer and they rechecked and now they say it is the stator. my brother is an auto mechanic and he has the standard triangle flywheel puller and he was only able to attach 2 bolts to the flywheel and one of the bolts always break when he tightens up the center bolt. the flywheel has 4 bolt holes forming a + shape. Is there a special outboard flywheel puller where we can attach all 4 bolts for better support or is there a special technique to remove the outboard flywheel. thanks,"

I have a 2000 Suzuki 150, and it sounds like I am experiencing the same problem. Once the engine is warm, turn the key and it does not make the "beep" to warn that it is ready to start. The engine turns over without a problem, but will not spark until I can get it to "beep." Problem is becoming more consistent.

The nearest suzuki dealer to me is 300 miles. I took it to them because it is a complicated situation, but I was not satisfied with the work. They supposedly called "suzuki rep" with description of problem. He advised them to start with the relay then move to Electronic Motor Control???
They changed to relay, but the problem persists.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back