Logo

1975 Mercury 40HP 402 motor

L

ladycram

"I am trying to remove the pow

"I am trying to remove the powerhead from the drive shaft,all bolts are removed,and the powerhead will raise up about 3/8's of an inch. I have sprayed penetrating oil thru the crack and have pried as hard as I dare. I cannot get the powerhead to separate from the driveshaft. HELP!!!"

"You got a stuck power head to

"You got a stuck power head to drive shaft joint, as you already know. Try this:

Hang the motor upside down from a (?) so it's just above the floor. Spray a bunch of penetrating oil where the stuck joint it--you might have to drill a hole or two in the housing (which you can plug with a screw). Then let it sit. Re-spray and knock on the power head with a soft hammer from time to time.

The secret is patience, and lots of penetrating oil!

Jeff

PS: If all else fails you can cut a big hole in the housing with a hole saw, stick a torch in there, and heat the end of the crank until the power head drops off. You'll then need a new housing, but there's plenty of those around. In fact, I junk at least three of them recently--no buyers."

THANKS FOR THE HELP. IF I REM

THANKS FOR THE HELP. IF I REMOVE THE BOLTS FROM THE LOWER UNIT AND AND TAP ON IT WOULD THAT CAUSE THE SHAFT TO COME LOOSE OR WOULD IT BRAHE SOMETHING IN THE LOWER UNIT?

That's what I mean. Suspe

That's what I mean. Suspend it from above so it wants to come off--and stop with the all caps! That's considerede shouting--very rude.

Jeff

Back