Logo

Tohatsu Oil leak out of prop

cfoster

"I have a 85 M30a2 which we ju

"I have a 85 M30a2 which we just got running a couple of weeks ago, when we first ran it (about 20 mins) everything ran great, this last weekend I went to start it and everytime the prop would turn oil would come out from behind it. The guy who works on my motor seems to think that a o-ring needs to be replaced along the shaft... does this sound right?

He told me to pull the lower, which is done, and to remove the prop and the hardware, the next problem that Im having is I got the prop off and the 2 bolts that go into the lower, but I cannot get the ring off, center ring with ilet in both the top and bottom, is there a trick to this or do I need a special tool?

thanks for your help"

You would use a type of pliers

You would use a type of pliers that are available from any auto parts store. Instead of jaws it has pins in the ends.

I have 2010 50hp TLDI that has

I have 2010 50hp TLDI that has a black thick substance leaking out the exhaust housing just before the prop. Does anyone know if this is normal. The black substance does not look like gear oil. The engine is new and has less than 5hrs run time on it. It has never been run wide open yet.

"That would be unburned oil, h

"That would be unburned oil, however, that is really odd on a TLDI. What kind of oil are you using and are using gas mixed with oil to break in the engine?"

Using premimum synthetic oil f

Using premimum synthetic oil from the dealer TCW3 and still have the 1st tank of gas with extra oil in the gas for breakin

Well that's the problem. D

Well that's the problem. Dump your gas. Under no circumstance do you mix oil with gas during break in on a TLDI. You may have already damaged the injectors. The engine automatically uses extra oil until the ECU decides it has seated the rings.

"<<<Using premimum

"<<<Using premimum synthetic oil from the dealer TCW3 and still have the 1st tank of gas with extra oil in the gas for breakin>>>

DOH!!! See section 6-Break In of your owner's manual. See the big "CAUTION" block in the middle of the page. See #1...do not pour oil with the fuel.

As the guru said, you may have damaged your injectors now. Bummer."

Back