Logo

Winterizing Merc MCM 898 questions

wish2fish

Regular Contributor
"Helping my brother to winteri

"Helping my brother to winterize his boat. All he can tell me is that that the motor is a Merc MCM 898, approximately a 1980 vintage.

Few questions:
is this enough info for me to get an new oil filter?
What type oil to use?
What type of outdrive should I expect. What lube to use in outdrive?

Sorry I can't provide more info..he cant provide it.

thanks"

I believe it is a Chevy 305 V-

I believe it is a Chevy 305 V-8. An AC Delco filter will suffice. Use 25W40 Merc preferred oil. Other high pressure dino oils will work like Shell Rotella or Delvac 15W40. For the OD use Mercs. gear oil. About 34-36 ozs. should be enough; fill from the bottom drain until it comes out of the vent hole.

There are some other OD High P

There are some other OD High Pressure gear oils on the market that will work. Needs to be non-foaming. I've just stuck w/Merc. gear oil.

"Guy,
can I use the Sierra Hi

"Guy,
can I use the Sierra High Performance Gear Lube (HPGL) in his outdrive? that way I will always have some on hand. Looks from what I read it is okay to use premium gear lube or HPGL in the older drives.

What do you say?"

"here in calif to winterize ou

"here in calif to winterize our boats we take the covers off and fill the gas tanks, check trailer tires and go......."

"but I don't have to worry

"but I don't have to worry about earthquakes during storage!
biggrin.gif
"

went to pump out the oil and m

went to pump out the oil and my old hand pump wasn't long enough. I was only able to get 2 quarts out. I bought this pump for my old 3 liter and it worked fine. I don't remember shortening the tube. He doesn't have the drain plug attachment. Is there any other way to get the oil out?

Back