Logo

57 3 hp johnson

scottie8238

"I just bought this motor. Sta

"I just bought this motor. Started right up, after 5 minutes noticed it getting very hot in the head. There is some water spraying out. Could this be a bad impeller?
I can't get it to start now. Any help out there?
Thank you"

"Being that you just bought it

"Being that you just bought it and its a 57, the impeller is probably bad. Have you or do you know when it was last changed?"

The water pump impeller and pl

The water pump impeller and plate is available on this site from Sierra for $15.00 and is easily changed. The gas oil ratio for your motor should be 20 to 1.

"I agree the original mixing r

"I agree the original mixing ratio was 20:1. However, lubricants have advanced dramatically and I have been running my vintage outboards for over 25 years now without a single failure. My everyday trolling motor is a 1965 Evinrude 6hp and I have run fully synthetic 100:1 Amsoil mixed at 64:1 or 2oz per gallon.......or to be more precise, 12oz per 6 gallon. Be sure to use non-oxy fuel as ethanol will destroy rubber composition parts such as crankshaft seals, gaskets, hoses and diaphrams. I enjoy the 50's and 60's outboards because of their simplicity and reliability. The original recomended mixtures caused heavy emissions into the water, created disgusting smoke and carbon deposits inside combustion chamber and exhaust discharge surfaces. The motors of this era were engineered brilliantly but the lubricants were very poor. I have had water pumps fail over the years, causing only minimal cyl/piston scoring while using Amsoil at this ratio. The ability of this synthetic formula to protect surfaces at extreme temperatures is far superior to petroleum or petrol/syn blends.
Note....you might want to replace the head gasket then inspect and decarbonise the combustion chamber. See if any damage was done by the overheating. Good luck, Tim"

thank you Tim for your insight

thank you Tim for your insight. I am not a mechanic. Bought this motor for $100. I am going to go ahead and sell it as is. Would you be interested in it?

"Sure, but you probably live t

"Sure, but you probably live too far from me to make it worthwhile to ship it. Anyway could you post a picture for me? I started my guiding in NW Ontario Canada with the same 3 hp. That was in 1965. Thanks"

"I recently bought a johnson 3

"I recently bought a johnson 3.0 motor fore 80 bucks. The owner said the only thing wrong was that the rope stayed pulled out and that he didnt want to mess with it. So I opend it and fixed that. I tried to start it up and nothing. So I checked fore spark and ther was none. I opend it up and cleand the rust off and I got spark. Now I got it to start up but it turns back off. I noticed on the carberator that the high speed needle was missing and he just had it plugged up with a bolt. I dont know what this motor actually looks like complete.I think it takes some kind of cover over the carb to, but I dont know much except fore what I have read. If I were to purchase a carberator kitt, would that come whith the high speed needle? The model # is J3BRESR. and I just found out it is a 1990 I beleave. Can you help me out with some advice on what to do? Your help would be very highly appreciated."

Back