Logo

Exhaust manifold replacement Crusader 454bs

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"After going back and forth, I

"After going back and forth, I'm going to replace exhaust manifolds, elbows and risers on both engines. I'm doing all the work so the cost won't be too bad...

I have a couple of questions:

1) what should I do in order to prep for the exhaust manifold removal? The bolts look like they're pretty far in, I don't know if PB Blaster will do any good.

Ease them out with a 1/2" breaker bar and
socket? Do I have a chance in getting 4 of
them out w/o breaking a bolt? The hull side
of the engines scare me a little especially
if a bolt breaks.

2) If I'm replacing the riser AND Elbows, there's no reason to seperate them when they're coming off right? Can I just bolt the NEW risers/elbows together and install as one unit?

thanks,
Bob"

"1) When mine came off a g

"1) When mine came off a good 6pt socket and a breaker bar were enough. Never hurts to try and get a penetrating oil in. If a bolt snaps at the head, deal with it after the manifolds are off. Worse case if you can't access it is the head goes to the shop. PITA but not a huge loss.

2)no need to separate them. Best to pull if possible as they will add to the mass of the manifolds and they are heavy. You could assemble the elbow and riser but probably easier to 'build' them up to the manifolds. Your hull's access would dictate this."

"Instead of twisting off manif

"Instead of twisting off manifold bolts--followed by removing the cylinder heads to get them drilled out in a machine shop--there's a better way: Drill the heads of the bolts off, then wedge the manifolds off with wooden wedges. The remains of the bolts can then be removed by a combination of penetrating oil and patience. An old RV trick.

Jeff"

"Bob,

If you would like, I

"Bob,

If you would like, I can send you a few pictures of the job when I had done it ..."

"Bob,

I have other pictures

"Bob,

I have other pictures of the damaged parts including what looks like 2 cups of iron ore from the insides of the muffler but they must be on the other hard drive... I will try to connect it and send them over...AL"

Back