Logo

1983 mercury 150 studders and puffs smoke

tydog

"83 v6 150 runs well above idl

"83 v6 150 runs well above idle,but i noticed it running rough while idleing. another thing i noticed is when im in neatral and give it a little gas then quickley return to idle the motor runs even rougher and puffs out a lot of smoke for id say about 20 secs untill the motor speeds up i begins to clear. any thoughts?"

"sounds like a carb is floodin

"sounds like a carb is flooding. Pump the fuel bulb with engine off, look down carbs, any dripps are bad news"

crud in the carb/float/needle

crud in the carb/float/needle either from dirt or gas that has sat to long in the carb and gone sour

pulled of the carbs and checke

pulled of the carbs and checked then they look clean and fee of obstructions could it be the float level height?

hi sorr forgot to mention ther

hi sorr forgot to mention theres no gas dripping out from the carbs when i pumped the primer bulb. so figure i would clean the carbs but they dont look dirty so i dont know now what to look for.

"hi checked comp and readings

"hi checked comp and readings are even through out 110 psi sparks good and these carbs have fixed jets in them. not sure what to check now how off do the floats have to be to create a problem. the book is kind of confusing for me to read it say 16th of an inch from base of carb, now i looked at mine and i see the floats are about a 16th of and inch inside the carb bowl. so i dont know if its right or wrong does any one have a clear picture of what ther suposed to look like adjusted. could the floats be set to high causing a rich cond?"

"is the fuel enrichner/solinoi

"is the fuel enrichner/solinoid partially stuck on or leaking causing it to get extra fuel all the time
edit, wrong engine, check choke plate to see if its stuck"

this engine is an 83 v6 with w

this engine is an 83 v6 with wh-23 carbs and it does have and enrichment valve i will plug it and try it. does any one know about float settings are the supposed to hang down below the bottom edge of the carb base or be inside the base 16th of an inch. not sure the pic i have is a little fogy.

Back