Logo

Chris craft 283 restored

pietro

Contributing Member
"hi there, I have completed th

"hi there, I have completed the restoration of a Boesch 510, put the rebuilt CC 283 in it, fired it regularly, but it has something like a piston beating, both at idle and higher rpm, and after 15 minutes the right bank exaust puts steam. Maybe something concerning a deformed piston?"

"I watched your video. I can’t

"I watched your video. I can’t determine if the engine has any knocking sounds because that cameras angle only lends itself to exhaust sound.

By the way Very beautiful boat and Resto work

What I can determine from the video is that it sounds like you have one or more cylinders misfiring at idle and under partial throttle.
It also seems like it starts/tries to pick up a cylinder when you revved up the engine.

The water flow looks ok form both sides.

Pull the sparkplugs out and mark what cylinder they came from on the insulator with a grease pen so you can verify any issues with that corresponding cylinder
Replace the sparkplugs, Make sure you gap them tight to the spec. If you can get A/C Delco plugs they will run better than Champions in that engine

If you have a single points type distributor set the dwell (dwell angle is 29 to31 degrees) and check/set the timing. It sounds a little retarded or late.

Make sure your wires and Rotor, Dist cap don’t have any carbon tracking on them because this will cause a short and resulting plug misfire. Make sure you have spark to all cylinders.

You may also want to look at the Carb idle screws and turn them a ¼ turn out and then a ¼ turn in and see if when doing this you get and better idle quality.

If you can take another video, try taking an overall close up of the engine then hold the camera or microphone over the top front of the engine then the rear top of the engine and then hold the mike /Camera down low on each side of the engine. This will give a better sample to diagnose by.

Post back what you find if this all turns out ok and it still is misfiring then you may have mechanical issues like burned/ sticky valves, cylinder/piston/head gasket issues.

Note a cracked /bad exhaust manifold can cause a misfire

Hope this helps

These are just my opinions

Bluecometk."

i got a 1965 chris craft caverler with 2 283 i had same problem with the nok in it i had freind do my lifter he screwed them up i had to learn they are solid lifter so much heard to set i change my to hydrolic sound so quit know but the solids will always make noise but when i got my boat there was a realll lowed nok and it was a turned lifter that cam lose so they do losin and also the bottom of lifter was wearing so that would make them loser to 1600 hours on the engin at time of rebuild

Back