Logo

86 Johnson 30 no spark

rodmaker2

Motor choked out after cold st

Motor choked out after cold start...wouldn't restart...figured it was flooded so I removed plugs to dry out cylinders...now...no start/no spark....any ideas?

"have u actually used a spark

"have u actually used a spark tester to verify the no spark,..or it just wont start?..."

First thing to do if you have

First thing to do if you have no spark is disconect the stop switch or kill wire ( black wire with a yellow strip) and check again!!

You likely killed the power pa

You likely killed the power pack by not having a place for the spark to go.
If your turn over an engine with the spark plug wires just hanging there the spark has no where to go so the coil sends that energy back to the power pack backwards which ruins it.
A very common mistake on CDI equiped engines!

"Phil,

I had a bad power pa

"Phil,

I had a bad power pack on a '79 CDI and lucked out when there were 2 new ones on Ebay. I got one for $20.

Since it looks like you might have found your answer I will change the subject instead of emailing you.

If it isn't too much trouble could you tell me where the 3 lines go from the primer solenoid barbs?

I also need to know where the other fuel line goes besides the carburetor that comes from the fuel pump. Mine split after coming out of the fuel pump.
My model is an E30ELCDM
Thanks. Bob"

ive got an 40hp evinrude 2cyli

ive got an 40hp evinrude 2cylinder if yours is similar the 2 thin hoses goes to the carbys one to each carby and the thick hose goes to the fuel supply at the vro pump

"Tony,

Mine only has 1 carb

"Tony,

Mine only has 1 carburetor. I think one fuel line goes to the bottom of the carb and the other to the big port on the solenoid from the fuel pump. The two small ports go to a vacuum port one close to the fuel pump and I think the other went to one side of the carb. I think that leaves one vacuum line that splits off the other two unaccounted for. There is a port on top of the carb but the vacuum line is too small to fit it. Will check for sure. Thanks."

"Below might be of help.
17 &

"Below might be of help.
17 (thick)is IN from carb.
One of the small is blocked with a cap (16)!
The other small goes to a T, then one (24) to nipple on carb, the other (25) to manifold.
296040.gif
"

"Thanks, this does help, altho

"Thanks, this does help, although the diagram doesn't show any fuel supply to the carburetor. Is there a smaller nipple on top of the one closest to the top of the carb? Mine looks like something might have been broken off. I had to insert the smaller hose into a larger one to cover the entire nipple.

The tube at the bottom of the tee goes to a manifold and so does #25 while the 24 goes to the nipple on the carb.

I'm wondering why there are two manifold connections on this one."

looking at the diagram my pri

looking at the diagram my primer solenoid is different to yours. Each of my carbies has a little brass tube on the side about 3mm in dia.right where they bolt on to the manifold and the small pipes go on these the larger hose goes to the vro pump but yours appears to be different

"Morton,

I got everything p

"Morton,

I got everything put back together and it runs, except it quits when the float bowl is empty. I didn't have to use the primer to start it but by not being able to attach the vacuum tube to the top of the carb prevented it from starting.

The fuel pump was kicking out fuel so it is a mystery why the bowl wasn't filling up unless it's not enough voulme and needs a diaphragm. This is the first carb I've seen with a fill tube on the bottom."

"Thanks Phil Kicksee,

Repla

"Thanks Phil Kicksee,

Replaced powerpack....all good. I figure I flooded it real bad by letting it idle cold then I fried the power pack while checking for spark the old fashioned way.

Dick"

Back