Logo

Start engine from 3 year storage

terryh

"I have a 5.0L, 305 chevy, it

"I have a 5.0L, 305 chevy, it has been in storage outside, for 3 years, what is best proceedure to start the engine??? (remove plugs, add fogging oil, disconnect coil wire before running starter, ?????)

HELP!!!

Terry"

Turn over by hand (spanner

Turn over by hand (spanner on crankshaft) several revs before firing the starter. Make sure you have a fully charged battery and fresh fuel!!

"Another item you may want to

"Another item you may want to add to the list:

Pull distributor and prime oil system. It will greatly reduce the initial startup wear on the bearings, especially if they are dry. Keeping the ignition system disabled while cranking really isn't the same thing."

"[b]First..... I'd NOT tur

"First..... I'd NOT turn the crankshaft by the balancer bolt! Not unless you are willing to risk snapping it off, and perform the work necessary to correct it! I'd rather see you use some sort of strap type wrench on the balancer as Mark suggests!

I'd oil each cylinder.... and rock the crank in either direction... see what happens.
Bring # 1 cylinder around to TDC on comp stroke...... now do the distributor thing that makomark suggests if you want to. The main and camshaft bearings are usually not as dry as one thinks they may be, IMO.
There is nothing that you can do for the cylinder walls below the piston rings anyway until she fires up.
Good luck with it!"

"first thing i would do is che

"first thing i would do is check the engine oil, and drive oil. Whats it look like.

Milky oil don't turn it over cause your going to get it all thru the motor.

If the oil's look good try turning it over if it cranks then dribble a bit of gas down the carb and pull the hose off the fuel tank and stick it in a fresh can of gas. And then start it.

Never ever start it without water going to the drive.

if it's a omc 1985 and before it's a stringer and never run it without it being fully down."

"Good advice from all.I just b

"Good advice from all.I just bought a houseboat back in July that had old buick V-6's in it.They hadn't been run in 5 years.Did everything you guys suggested but I also pulled the plugs and shot Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinders.Hand turned it numerous times.Then believe it or not they both fired up on the second turn of the key and they run great...no smoke,no ticks, no knocking.Good luck with your engine."

Back