Logo

Ground strap on starter was fine now wonbt ground

shagbert44

"Hello again everyone I have a

"Hello again everyone I have a puzzleing question, can the ground strap that goes from the starter to a ground post all of a sudden not be a good ground spot anymore? Reason everything worked great all season as it was, starter was acting up so I had it rebuilt guy said the brushes were very bad anyway I hooked everything back up the way it was and still the bendex would spin but not jump and I could here the starter working but not jumping to engage the flywheel. I then took the strap off where it was grounded to the starter clamp ring and ground that direct to the battery with jumper cables turned the key and everything worked like a charm. So why wold this ground position be ok for so long then all of a sudden not work anymore? ALso can I run a ground line from the top of the starter to the battery direct or should it be grounded to the engine somewhere? Thanks, Ryan"

Yes. Merc went to these rubbe

Yes. Merc went to these rubber mounted starters that require a HEAVY ground strap.

Jeff

"yes, you can connect the batt

"yes, you can connect the battery ground directly to the starter mounting. Better that way anyway. The more direct path the better.
As to why it worked before and not now? Who knows, but there must be paint or some sort of insulator between the cable and starter or the starter and engine. You would be the one who could tell best."

Back