Logo

Boat tarp

bigb

I am looking for a good quality tarp. We live in heavy snow area in Ontario and in the past have used tarps that when you get a wet snow it sticks to the tarp during the daytime and freezes to it when temp. drops. Want to find a tarp that everything slides off just like the strink wrap tarp material. Anyone know where I can buy this

"Might try having a higher rid

"Might try having a higher ridge ,this way the snow will slide off better. Nothing I know of to coat the tarp so snow slides."

Cover the tarp w/6 mil. PVC an

Cover the tarp w/6 mil. PVC and secure it. W/a high ridge the snow will slide off. Note: the ridge needs to be solid so as to not bow under any accumulation.

"And the tarp needs to be prop

"And the tarp needs to be properly "tensioned"...
I go by the book and run a line around the perimeter of the tarp and then seperate lines from one side of the boat to the other under the boat tied to the perimeter line in between the grommet holes. On these lines I hang a capped gallon bottle of water (not filled to the top)... a convenient use for the left over antifreeze bottles from winterizing my engine.

Tieing the tarp down hard or even more strangely to the trailer, leads to failed/shortened life of tarps. My tarp was used for 4 seasons (Nov/April) and only now will be replaced ( the coating is starting to flake off)

RE: "higher ridge".... more than a 45 degree angle. I make my ridge pole out of 4" PVC pipe with "T" couplings every 4 ft. The "T" makes a nice "socket" for a support 2x4 ( w/ 8x8 plywood base) to the deck. Neoprene pipe couplers w/ band clamps makes it easy to put up and store.
I glue a 90 degree elbow on the ends so the tarp has a "soft radius" to go over."

"Make sure your boat is well v

"Make sure your boat is well ventilated. A water proof tarp not only keeps moisture out, it also traps it in. Translation: Mildew
G"

For me I do not understand why

For me I do not understand why someone would "tarp" a boat. I understand $$$ may be a good reason but if you can afford it shrinkwrap is the way to go.

If the boat is clean and dry when shrinkwrapped it will be clean and dry when removed in the spring.

I have been shrinkwrapping my boat since I purchased it in 1995. Other than wear and tear it still stays very clean and dry all winter.

I believe it costs ~ $8-$9 dollars per foot now a days.

So a 20 ft boat will cost ~ $ 160 or so.

Now of course I do my own as I have the equipment so my cost is far less but I have been doing others for 15 years + and it works great!

I live in newengland and we get our fair share of snow and done correctly it keeps it all off!

Just my opinion.........

"I put a 7 foot aluminum step

"I put a 7 foot aluminum step ladder in my boat. I put an old seat cushion on top of the ladder and put my Canadian Tire boat cover over that. I bought the cover big so it will reach over the ladder.
Then I park the boat nose high on a sloped part of my driveway.
Some snow sticks to it, but it causes no issues.
3M Scotch guard on the cover once a year. "

"I don't have that problem

"I don't have that problem in Sydney, but when I recently took my boat cover for soem patching the good lady said she always sews on a strong reinforced hook at the top of the cover. This can then be tied up to a tree above the boat to keep the correct angle for runoff. A few of these may help with the snow or one couls errect a guy stayed pole from bow to stern and attach these to that, or a 'sky hook' if you can find them. I thought she was quite clever as I have never seen this and its so simple."

"That hook idea is cool.
One

"That hook idea is cool.
One could make a simple tube-frame over the boat trailer and hook it on.
In Colorado, one could tie it to Falcon's helium balloon!"

RE:" If the boat is clean

RE:" If the boat is clean and dry when shrinkwrapped it will be clean and dry when removed in the spring."

I tie/secure the tarp in two sections... all of the boat except for the last 3 ft... and the last 3 ft.

This allows me to untie the last 3 ft in late winter/early spring to do some work on the boat (under the nice high ridge pole) and still be able to refasten the last 3 ft of the cover for the occasional late snow fall or nor'easter. I've had snow here at the Jersey Shore as late as the first week in April.

I use a saw horse that i have built up to about 6' tall,with a 6' 1x4 on top with the conners rounded of as not to punch a hole in the tarp. together with the 2 pedastal seats it makes a ridge the lenght of the boat.

Back