Logo

Replace impeller or wait

mercforme

"I picked-up a neglected 1985

"I picked-up a neglected 1985 35 horse merc two years ago. Much time spent getting it to run reliably. Had to rebuild TnT pump housing, replace fuel pump, lines, carb float/seats, and remote controls. Purrs like a kitten now. I have read several posts with horror stories about separating the lower unit when replacing the water pump. I do not know if the pump has ever been replaced and am wondering, should I attempt to take it apart now and possibly ruin a fine running motor, or wait till it begins to fail?"

"If the lower unit falls down

"If the lower unit falls down when un-bolted all is going to be fine. 2 5/8 nuts up front, 1 9/16 in front of trim tab, remove trim tab to find hidden nut 9/16. I think the trim tab is 1/2 maybe 12point. Remove lower in neutral, check neutral by spinning prop during reassembly, the lower likes to jump in fwd. Look closely at the cam up front to see how it is positioned. There is no point in waiting. Put a very light coat of grease on the splines during replacement. You lucky dog, you have power trim......"

"Forgot, to install new impell

"Forgot, to install new impeller, slide it on the shaft. Push housing down on top of lubed impeller and turn drive shaft cw."

Back