Logo

What is leeching from exhust

slauder

Regular Contributor
Twin 454 1991s in tiara. Exhau

Twin 454 1991s in tiara. Exhaust is half under water on that boat. I see some clouds floating from openings. What is it? Non-spent gas? Looks like oil? I had an oil change that resulted in an overfill last year... How to know what's going on... Runs good.

"All earth clouds, and most bo

"All earth clouds, and most boat clouds are water. If there is not a oil sheen on the water surface, it's likely just steam. More steam than usual is indicative of low raw water flow.
I had a port cloud but no starboard cloud last weekend. I'm now rebuilding the RW pump, it had 4 torn vanes, a worn cam, a worn cover, and a worn bushing."

"Clouds does not describe the

"Clouds does not describe the problem it seems... I meant floating discharge on surface (cloudy water). It is liquid and forms clouds on surface at about 4-5 inch diameter. I noice mosyly at startup, but maybe just when I'm looking at dock.
Thanks"

"Scott:

don't know abou

"Scott:

don't know about the other readers, but I think of clouds as three dimensional. Are you talking about very thin "blobs" floating on the surface?"

"I'd capture some of this

"I'd capture some of this liquid in a glass bowl. If it evaporates completely its gas, if it leaves behind a oil film, i'd worry more. You should not have oil out of the exhaust, even at startup."

"could be tricky to tell becua

"could be tricky to tell becuase I'm on salt water... I will try with two glasses of sea water...

one with, and one without the cloudy water film...

see what we get..."

At boat this weekend. Looks li

At boat this weekend. Looks like gas. Film on water very thin and breaks up at slightest movement. Dout I'll be able see anything in glass bowl... Maybe a peatry dish and chemical reactant might work... Then again it must be gas... Why?

"gas in the exhaust water = fu

"gas in the exhaust water = fuel not being burnt.

Possible causes = choke setting rich, idle mixture rich, minor flooding, etc.....

Can you smell fuel in the air when back at the exhaust (transom)? May have to lean over as fuel vapors will 'sink' and stay at the water's surface.

Does it do this cloud trick all the time or only at a cold startup?"

"Usually, adjusting them won&#

"Usually, adjusting them won't do much if their 'replaceables' are at end of life. Replacing the 'soft parts' will cure a lot of areas but a thorough cleaning is best if you can't verify how long since the last one. Doing it correctly entails more than just throwing in the parts in the kit."

What is the best thing to do w

What is the best thing to do with old quad jets in 454 1991 when I've had them 3 years and don't think too much has done to them since install (91?)

"Depends upon how you define &

"Depends upon how you define "best". Several have opted to swap over to the edelbrock 1409's. all on the board here that have changed over appear to be happy with that path. Personally, I'd get a kit from Cliff and go thru them. You can always send them out to a good carb shop. They can also tailor the internals to your engine & boats specifics if they are real good.

Ted started a thread recently (carbs, carbs, and more carbs) where a similar situation existed on his boat. You may find the thread of interest. You may also want to drop him a line to see what he considered as he evaluated the options. I think both Al and CaptAl are in the 1409 camp as are several others."

Back