Logo

Paragon vdrive packing

jasonthompson

I have a paragon tranny with t

I have a paragon tranny with the v-drive the 2 big nuts under the tranny have sprung a leak between the nut and the shaft??? What can i do and what size nut is it it is big??? how do they work and can i do it in the water or no??? please help..

"the second nut is a jam nut,

"the second nut is a jam nut, loosen that a little, then tighten the first one, not to tight, tighten it just enough to stop the drips,( you should be able to turn the shaft by hand..just), then re-tighten the jam nut, no problem doing it in the water, if the packing is toast, then she has to come out of the water."

Peter the nut closest to the w

Peter the nut closest to the water is just a Jam nut?? which nut does the packing go into.. the one that comes off with the colar on it? thanks jason

"the deep nut has the packing

"the deep nut has the packing inside, as you tighten that one, the packing is squeezed around the shaft creating a seal, (it will always leak a little), then the jam nut is undone till its tight to the deep nut, locking both of them in place. Google "stuffing box", some good pictures."

That's why I'd never b

That's why I'd never buy a boat with Vee drives. Imagine how tough it is to align the couplings way down there!

Jeff

Not only that try one handed a

Not only that try one handed and not being able to see lol It was a chore and not to panic when the water was rushing in lol.

Back