Logo

Flywheel

johnm

Has anyone ever broken a tooth

Has anyone ever broken a tooth off of your flywheel? I was curious to know what kind of noise the motor makes during the starting process after the tooth was broken?

When I start the engine (1

When I start the engine (1995 Merc. 5.0 LX) I hear a knocking noise until the engine starts and then it disappears after the engine is running. If I remove the coil wire and turn the key the noise is very noticable. A boat mechanic thinks there is a broken tooth on the flywheel causing the noise during the starting process. Has anyone ever heard of this? The engine runs great. There are no noises when it is running.

I once had a bad starter that

I once had a bad starter that made the engine kick and buck and make all sorts of noise while starting. A new starter made all the bad stuff go away. It's easier to try then messing with the flywheel.

"John: The noise Bt Dcotur is

"John: The noise Bt Dcotur is describing is the sound the starter motor makes when the engine stops where the broken tooth is. The starter has no teeth to grab so it just spins. The noise you describe is the broken tooth mismeshing with the starter motor gear as it goes by. The engine has enough momentum to carry the broken tooth by the starter. It's just a mater of time before the engine stops at the spot where the broken tooth is. When this happens the starter will spin but not engage the ring gear on the flywheel. You won't be able to start the engine. If your stranded and need to start the engine you can take a wrench to the crankshaft bolt on the front of the engine and turn the engine over by hand (clockwise) to expose the good teeth to the starter.
The ring gear on the flywheel needs to be replaced. The engine has to be pulled to accomplish this.
Good Luck, G
P.S. Bt Doctur: I lover your response.
lol.gif
"

"Grrrrrrrrrrr skip grrrrrrrrrr

"Grrrrrrrrrrr skip grrrrrrrrrr skip grrrrrrrrrrr skip! And if the skip lasts too long, you're in trouble.

I'd suggest that if the starter motor reaches an area where it won't bite (will not turn the engine), then remove the starter motor while in this position and examine the "ring" gear on the flywheel.... it will be right there visible when the starter motor is out of your way.
You should also be able to turn the engine over by hand as well.
This will index the flywheel and bring any bad ring gear teeth around and visible.
A ring gear is an inexpensive part, and very easy to install onto the flywheel.... It's getting to the flywheel that is the PITA.
(Great time to inspect your drive coupler/hub as well!)

Be sure to get a quote for a repair after a full diagnosis......... and a diagnosis that says "This IS the Problem and This Will Fix It!"
There is no sense in letting them spend your money if this is NOT the issue."

I was able to purchase a ring

I was able to purchase a ring gear for about $50 where the cost of a New Flywheel was $300.

It took about 5 mins to take the ring gear off and about 10-15 +- to put the new one on.

I have a 4.3 Mercruiser would

I have a 4.3 Mercruiser would the engine have to come out to replace the flywheel? Seems like it is very accessible.

"Considering it`s bolted to th

"Considering it`s bolted to the crankshaft, Yes.
Plus the alignment will need to be checked when you re-install the motor"

Back