Logo

93b Johnson 90 VRO2 fuel pump and hitemp alarm

gjackman

"OK, here's my situation.

"OK, here's my situation. Went out fishing couple days ago, ran down the river to the mouth of the lake, about 1/2 hr at WOT fished for about 1 hr and had a problem starting motor, had to keep priming to keep running after running OK went back up river for about 20 min WOT, fished for 2 more hours and decided to head home, again motor wouldn't start unless primed several times, started to head out and stalled, started again and found that my buddy had to keep pumping primer bulb to keep running, after about 10 min at 3500 RPM the hi-temp alarm started sounding,tell tale is flowing good, we shut down and checked the engine, heads didn't seem to be that hot (river water temp 42 deg) started back up pumping primer all the way and again alarm went off. we decided to shut down and paddle to shore. ended up getting a tow back to launch by a fellow boater (boaters are the nicest people). Just wondering if maybe my fuel pump may be shot and by pumping the primer we were getting fuel OK but no oil, any thoughts."

"when the horn sounded,..was i

"when the horn sounded,..was it a long constant beep,or intermittant beeps?...a long continuous sound,would be hot,a low oil would be beep every 20 sec or so,and no oil beep,is every other sec,or so.i think,u may have 2 prob's to address.If u have not serviced,replaced the VRO pump,and checked all warning systems,...that,i recommend getting off of the oiling system,..u have to keep them maintained..u can get a rebuild kit for the fuel side,of ur vro,and disc oiling system,and pre-mix ur fuel in tank as u fill up.I also suggest u inst a new water pump kit,so u cover 'all the bases '"

"The beeps were about every ot

"The beeps were about every other second, as for the VRO pump, can I use the existing pump, rebuild the fuel side and disconnect the oil side? I have a new water pump and will be installing it. But the snow has already started to fall (aaagh winter) and unfortunately the boat will be going bye-bye into storage for the winter, if i don't have time this week it will have to wait until spring.
Thanks for everyones help this season, it sure makes it easier for us novices and part timers.
KEEP WARM and ABOVE WATER"

"every other sec,is no oil...t

"every other sec,is no oil...that explains,ur scenario....yes,u can rebuild just the fuel side.."

"airmtr rep kit-- # 435921--41

"airmtr rep kit-- # 435921--41.59
fuel piston kit---436095----50.98
if any housing,looks warped,or,tweeked,..u need another one.. fuel pump conversion kit--353.00"

"u r welcome ! i thought they

"u r welcome ! i thought they had a complete kit for the rebuild,but looking in my 09 acc's book,that is what is listed.. good luck,and keep us informed!I would run a compression test on that mtr for sure."

"model #J-70tlsb ser# G-025332

"model #J-70tlsb ser# G-02533291
here's my problem , my motor starts and runs fine ,but sometimes after about 20 minutes the alarm goes off. the alarm is a steady beep, which from what I have read in other post would indicate a over heating issue,the water pump seems to be pumping water just fine, and some days I experience no problems at all.
if this is an over heating issue wouldn't it happen all the time and wouldn't the motor over heat almost right away?
any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated."

"Troy; Theromostat not wor

"Troy; Theromostat not working right, bad h2o pump restrition in water jacket?
impeller could be wore and just pumping a little to get by with when pushed heats up. heat problem when you are running hard? and not lower speed.best bet are theromostat are stuck"

"first pl to go,..new wtr pump

"first pl to go,..new wtr pump kit...next,is thermo,..the thermo are very dependable gadgets,...unless,...they r overheated,...or full of sand or grass,or mud..."

I have a 1998? 50hp evinrude o

I have a 1998? 50hp evinrude oil injected
When running wide open for 2 mins feels like i am running out of gas (boat stops.)
changed filter separator + gas filter + plugs.
same problem
took it to a boat mechanic was told to bypass the oil injector system - mix oil in the tank.how do i do this.I have had a alarm a couple of time for no oil the quick beep beep beep every 15 sec.
He told me i had 30lbs of difference between the cylinders and the motor is shot ? the boat runs good ? please help...

"James,
If the VRO pump isn&#

"James,
If the VRO pump isn't pumping gas, disconnecting the oil side won't help anything. It just makes more work for you. You have a fuel restriction or failing pump. The beep every 15 seconds is low oil. That's not related to your issue.

30 psi is a substantial difference in compression. If the numbers are reasonably high, you might be able to save it with a de-carb on an engine that new. I usually use Evinrude/Johnson engine tuner. Follow the directions on the can. Don't be afraid to let it soak overnight, then warm it up good and run it hard."

I think it is pumping because

I think it is pumping because i trolled for a 1hr with no problem but as soon as bring the boat up to full speed it will run good for 2 to 3 mins then automatically slow down then stop. I can wait 30 sec turn the key and the boat starts.The mechanic in merced told me if the oil is not mixed right it will shut the boat off ?

"Another mech that blames a co

"Another mech that blames a component he does not understand!
The VRO is quite simple in function.
It is 3 pump sections.
The air-motor, the fuel pump and the oil pump.
The fuel and oil are pulled into the fuel-pump chamber at the same time and mixed before going to the carb.
The only 'warning' is if the oil is not at right 'pressure' at the oil-pump entry. You will get a warning, and engine SLOW function (in power pack) will be activated. Engine will get a speed limit, but will not shut down.
Your problem seems to be plain fuel limited, either by a defective air-pump, fuel pump, leaking air on the suction side, stuck anti siphon valve or even a blocked tank ventilation.
If engine is severely smoking, a sign of too much oil, suspect the fuel section of the pump, or air leak in the lines/connectors.
I do not remember your engine having a vacuum switch, and you get no alarm for fuel line blockage/stuck anti siphon valve.
Try taking a separate fuel tank, hook it directly to the filter in the fuel-pump and test to eliminate boat system.
I would recommend to pre-mix the tank with 2% mix."

Back