Logo

Trailer skids instead of rollers

tuna_man

Regular Contributor
"Off topic, but a lot you guys should know.
Im tired of trailer maintenance, and thinkin of gettin rid of the rollers. Trailers about to get a major o-haul ne way. (rust)
Thinkin of goin to plastic/nylon/teflon blocks down the centre, or maybe a single long strip straight down the centre of the trailer... maybe a V shape to help centre boat to trailer. boat weighs about 2000 kgs.
The boat, Fibreglass, 23ft Bertram, Mercruiser 260.
Trailer now, lotsa 12in centre keel rollers with those wobbly wheels down each side where the original bunks were.
Im concerned about friction with solid blocks, but something else must be better than rollers that lock up as soon as they feel the weight of the boat. Ive seen trailers with out rollers, anyone have experience with this?"

"I don't think you'll

"I don't think you'll be happy with skids after having rollers. I'd say invest in premium grade components. haven't trailered in a while but never had any issue in the 10 years we did once we had 'good stuff'. The 'economical stuff' just wouldn't stand up to the elements, especially around salt water.

if you decide to keep the rollers, look for a packaged deal - it will be cheaper, in the long run, to do it all at once."

"The guys up here who have the

"The guys up here who have the skids like them, but I still prefer rollers. All the bunk guys have to sink their trailers..often to the point of the rear wheels of the tow vehicle being in the salt on a shallow ramp.....not good for the rear brakes!! I love my Shoreland'r, great roller system, dropped axles and disc brakes standard equipment! I have a 22 ft Seasport it rolls off with a slight push everytime...have to hold it back it goes off so fast."

"Guys

Thanks for the replie

"Guys

Thanks for the replies, sorry i didnt reply sooner, I lost the post. Bunks im thinking of using are called DURABUNKS, and feature on DURALUM trailers.

http://www.duralum.com.au/html/features.html

I believe they are solid POLY. this stuff is slippery and does not require carpet. Having trouble sourcing the durabunk skids.
I dont want moving parts on trailer, anymore."

I have found that if you launch in the shallower ramps and if you are used to rollers there better, if you go on steep ramps the bunks are better. just my opinion.

Having looked at a dozen and a half used boats for sale on trailers, It appears with age, the rollers leave indentations in the hull, bunks don't.

I am unable to post a new thread here, and this screen is ginormous, cant seem to get it set right. In the mean time Ill just use this thread to get somebody thinkin on my trailer problem
Ive got a 68 easy load 25 ft trailer with a 5000 pound fiber form crusier on it that needs a new spring or at least a new main leaf. Nobody around here or on the net so far seems to be able to help me. The spring is just clamped in the center to the frame with both ends flat and floating. Got any idea where I might be able to finf a new leaf or a whole spring???

Last edited:
Try your local truck spring repair shop or ask your car mechanic/RV store where they get it done.Try the Yellow pages in phone book.I just had some leafs on a travel trailer done, very reasonable and done correctly.They would also sell them to you if you wanted to do it yourself.NAPA might have them but you will need to measure and possibly have load rate of leafs.
Goobs says hey

Rrough roads with rollers on the trailer have been known to damage the hulls on some boats.--------Some hulls are not designed for extreme point loads when you hit a bump at speed.----------Bunks are best on rough roads.

I overhauled my bunk board last year and attached Poly bought at TAP's Plastic. CAUTION: Do not remove your bow hook until you're at the bottom of the ramp...these strips are slick :D

376526527.jpg

Back