Logo

Volvo Penta TAMD41

griff53

I have a 2000 tamd-41 engine i

I have a 2000 tamd-41 engine in my boat 30' center console. Motor runs great stats right up when cold. I cruse at 3700 rpm. never any power loss at speed. My problem is after running at speed when i slow down to idle. Motor will shut of or have no power no throttle responce. If i idle for a while it will speed up and then throttle comes back. seems like air in the fuel. When motor stalls it will not start again untill motor cools about an hour. then starts right up and runs fine untill i run at speed again for a while then same thing again. Changed fuel pump and racor fuel seperator unit. no help. any advice. Thank you Bill

"Double check the fuel return.

"Double check the fuel return.
Take the hose in a canister and check that it flows freely and without air bubbles. At the same time check the temperature of returned fuel. If 'hot' it may vaporize. Normal reason for return fuel to get hot is capacity. This might be fuel pump( primary), blocked filter, blocked pick-up tube in tank or air leaks in system."

"William,
Your TAMD41 has a m

"William,
Your TAMD41 has a max rpm between 3700 - 3900, volvo recomends crusing 300-500rpm below max rpm, my suggestion is that you lower your crusing rpm, this might not solve your problem, but will help your engine to last longer."

"Depending on the tank setup..

"Depending on the tank setup...the pickup tube may have a screen on the bottom that is clogged.
Simple item to check. If restricted this may lean out the engine at full / cruise rpm causing heat due to lack of fuel lubrication, so I would start with simple / easiest items and go from there. If it has a screen, I would remove it and let the filters do their job. The 41 can clear minor fuel line bubbles, and the cooler tank fuel should help cool overheated fuel in the pump, so another suggestion is to stage the throtle to allow the running engine to cool."

hi there

Have you had water in the fuel before, have had this before on a customers boat where the fuel system was found to have water contamination, we replaced all filters etc and drain the pump in place, flushed out the tank and added a treatment additive to the fresh fuel, engine was running fine but after a few years the engine developed the same fault your having, straight away i removed the injection pump and reconditioned it and all was fine when refitted, basicly the pump had corroded slightly due to the water ingress a few years before. hope this helps, let me know how you get on

I have twin Volvo TAMP 41 P. I replaced all the air and fuel filters on the engines, and they both ran fine for a month (30 hours mostly trolling speed) occasionally bring them up to cruising speed. They both ran fine. I try to bring the engines up to cruising speed and the port engine drops down to 1800 rpm with black/grey smoke. The starboard engine is fine. The port engine in neutral, rpm will go over 3000 for a minute then goes down to 1800 rpm with Black/Grey smoke. I cracked open the fuel line at each injector to see if they are all functioning. They all appear to be fine at idle. I took off the air filter and looked at the turbo. It spins fine and seems fairly clean. Any further suggestions?

I did also cleaned out the bottom of the racor filter bowl and tested again same problem. There was some water and scum on the bottom of the bowl. I do have the racor filter and a fuel filter on the engine that was replace recently.

skraggy bypass the racor completely, they are notorious for air leaks and will choke out the motor along with smoke. you also should pop test the injectors to see if they still have tight spray pattern and that they open at proper pressure.

Re: "William,
Your TAMD41 has a m

I thought this engine had a max RPM of 3200? I have the TAMD41A & run it at 28k to 3000 max for a 11 to 12 knot speed. I can never get this much out of it.I usually curse at 2800. Like to here if I am incorrect.

Thanks

stringer bell my 41a has a racor filter system on it if i remove it you think that will help stop the smoking that is my only pboblem i have with eng. is the smoke

tamd41 cruise rpm 3200, wide open rpm 3850-3900....these numbers mean your boat is propped properly.

goody do you lose any power when engine starts smoking? is the smoke black, grey or white? If the boat is overloaded with extra weight, it tends to smoke. Can you get 3900rpm wide open under way? Black smoke is unburnt fuel, can be leaking injector. White smoke is burning coolant (bad head gasket).

stringer bell thanks for the help the boat is an 28 ft. ellis i can get it up to 3800 wide open head gasket & new injectors last year when head was done the new injecters done smoke color i would say is gray also eng. meter says 1425 hrs. thanhks again have a good weekend

thanks, is boat bottom clean? is the prop clean? barnacles can cause smoke because of the engine working harder to achieve the same speed as it used to gain with clean hull / running gear

good morning, bottom is clean & prop also the boat is about 10,000lbs seems i get some blow/by out crankcase breather but like i said only1425 hrs. i hear that the 41a are known to smoke i talked to a marine mechanic he said if i put larger pistons in it would help making the eng. 41p thanks again

41a smoke white at startup (alot) but not much underway. 41b or 41p pistons are upgraded dome design and dont smoke at startup. pistons are same size, just different layout on the top. check your breather canister, if its clogged with oil it will create additional pressure in the crankase

is this new to you boat, or have you had it for a while and it just recently started smoking?

white smoke at startup it's not bad underway but does smoke i change breather canister reguarly it does have oil in it when i change it out

Back