Logo

1988 225 Evinrude overheating on one bank

thomas66

"Help.......I have a 225 Loope

"Help.......I have a 225 Looper that has a cooling problem on one cylinder bank. The engine had not been used in about a year when it started this problem. Initially, I didn't know it was on one bank so I installed a new water pump and removed the thermostats. That did not solve my problem. The motor runs perfect other than the overheating on starboard side. I am now thinking something could be clogging flow to starboard side. Any ideas?"

"chip, did you pull the therms

"chip, did you pull the therms & put them in water on the stove and make sure they're opening or that they are not stuck open. If I am guessing right yours are like mine and have a plastic housing that will screw apart and you can pull the vernatherms out & ck them in hot water"

Get a fresh set of thermostats

Get a fresh set of thermostats back before you burn down your regulator. Running without thermostats will even disrupt the cooling circulation. The cooling system need a certain pressure to operate properly.

Put back the vernatherms and a

Put back the vernatherms and associated bits and pieces running without them is not helping the situation and try it again

"If it were mine, I would remo

"If it were mine, I would remove one thermostat cover, run it on muffs, and see how much water pours out. Then I would try the other and compare. I would think this would show you if you have some type of blockage or restriction."

"Morten you were right on the

"Morten you were right on the money, I replaced the vernatherms and problem was solved. I gotta say I was surprised, I never ran thermostats in crossflows and never had any problems.
Thanks"

Back