Logo

AD41B Crancase filter breather canister leak

skiss

Regular Contributor
"History first... Both engines

"History first... Both engines rebuilt by exp diesel full service truck shop. Now have 12 hours running time, Only 3 hours total at mid speed breakin rpm. Top speed only for 30 seconds on infrequent occassion. Everything done.. except existing liners were well crosshatched so only new penta rings fitted to existing pistons.This was recommended to reduce break in time.
One engine is perfect...4100 rpm under load with A4 props. Problem starboard engine 3900 rpm. No leaks anywhere except at breather cannister. After engine leaked and bilge filled with oil, thought engine might be overfilled. Reset oil level and new filter again leaked but less oil this time. I think now oil might be leaking from canister metal seam near base (defective filter? or should oil not reach this point?) Both engines have new everything oil senders etc and run on spec with temp and oil pressure. Run on plane easily at 3200 rpm, but problem arises I think at 3600 rpm. Am I running the engines too hard? Exhaust elbows just warm to the touch. (Volvo dash sticker says cruise speed should be 200 rpm below max rpm.) (Both tachs are new and checked)
Both engines smoke at cold startup alot, but become reasonable within 5 minutes of very easy starting.
Is this normal? Read everything on this site, so cutting to the chase whats my next step?
Cold Compression tests? Tell Volvo the new filter is defective and replace again? Modify engines with P version breather setup? A penta dealer says Maybe run a hose to ouside if everything else fails. Does the engine need more break in time? Thank you in advance."

"I am thinking of doing some m

"I am thinking of doing some mods to alleviate hopefully this temporary problem till the engine is run in or the shop determines I have a more serious problem. 1.Change out the rear valve cover for part 860541, which gives me a high and dry hose outlet. 2.Pipe to oil trap 3581104. Now the questions.....where do I run the oil return line? Into the turbo return line, or is there a plug on the block for such a purpose? Do I blank off the cv filter, leave it as is,or install 858256 check non rtn valve? Does any of this make sense? The racor ccv4500 needs somewhere to pipe to if I go this method Please give me some suggestions or advice. Thank you"

"Boat is on the hard now for w

"Boat is on the hard now for winter.. but interesting finding which I will share.
Mechanic ran engine (raw water impeller out) and discovered extreme pooling of oil over rockers for number 6. Removed rocker assembly and discovered oil feed line at the rear was missing the little O ring which fits into the cyl head.
Fixed problem and now no pooling in rocker cover and oil coming out where it should for front lifters. Reset gap to .040 and removed canister and ran the engine to 3K with no pooling or evidence of leak. Checked other engine, found a mild version of the same prob, although engine did not apear to leak. Pulled everything apart and found the O ring in place but was undersized. After replacement mild pooling gone. Now here is what I find most interesting.... Before 62 PSI oil p. hot. Now 71 PSI oil p. after repair. Something to consider before thinking blow-by and putting on a kit."

Back