Logo

2008 40 hp long shaft 4 stroke efi

farmboy

"Can any one tell me what it m

"Can any one tell me what it might cost to convert a 40hp 4stroke to remote start, steer,and shift? My motor already has trim/tilt and electric start.However it is tiller.Thanks."

"Hello Bill, it depends how fa

"Hello Bill, it depends how fancy you want to get.

A few things you will need no matter what...

A remote attachment kit sells for just under 100 bucks - that will give you all the bits/pieces to convert the tiller linkage to be able to handle the cables from a remote shifter.

You will also need the steering bracket adapter (about 25 bucks) that mounts on the motor to take a steering arm (not included in the adapter kit or a steering kit).

The steering arms start at about 35 bucks and go up from there depending whether you want stainless etc.

You can pick up a "steering in a box" set-up from one of the couple of biggies in the business (Teleflex or U-Flex).

They sell the helm assembly packaged with the steering cable (and some kits even have the steering wheel) in both rotary style or rack style steering for about 200 bucks.

Finally you will need a control box. There are numerous OEM (Quicksilver) and aftermarket (shifters) boxes that may simply control throttle and gears, or may have the additional feature of an added keyswitch/harness for electric start right at the shifter.

A "plain jane" Merc control (2000 series) starts at about 200 bucks and they go up from there - aftermarket products are similar in function and price.

So if you go with new components, count on dropping about 600 bucks (minimum) for parts and if you need a shop to do the rigging count another 200-400 bucks for the install..."

Appreciate the quick response.

Appreciate the quick response.Could you recommend a supplier for the parts and pieces needed to do this with?Thanks again.

"The attaching kit and steerin

"The attaching kit and steering mount adapter should only be purchased from a Merc dealer.

Ditto the shift control if you want an OEM (Quicksilver) box.

Otherwise, any Marine supply place can hook you up with a control box and the steering system.

When it comes to the steering, I am not brand loyal - as long as you stick to the major players it's tough to go wrong.

I run a Teleflex (Rack) system on my small boat and a Uflex (Rotary with Planetary gears) on my big boat - why? - just came down to the best price at the time I was shopping
"

Again I thank you for the resp

Again I thank you for the response and your info will be utilized gratefully.Your time is most appreciated.

Back