Logo

Riser replacment 81 motors

walterv

"I have a 2004 Silverton 34C t

"I have a 2004 Silverton 34C that has twin 8.1 Crusader Motors. The motors have around 300 hours on them and I am presently in my sixth season with them. I boat in salt water in the North East.

I am trying to figure out what parts need to be replaced in reference to the risers and manifold. I hear conflicting stories and am confused.

I was told that because the motors are “fully closed freshwater cooled” , that the risers can last much longer than five or six seasons, but the “elbows” should be replaced.

What is the real deal here and with the hours I have and the age, what parts should be replaced?

Thanks
Walter"

"Walter, what you were told is

"Walter, what you were told is true. You did not mention hours, which are a consideration. At the very least I would remove and inspect the risers. I would purchase new risers and gaskets. You will need two gaskets for each riser due to the block off plates used. If the risers look good, you can consider reusing them but have new ones on hand in case you decide to change them. I would use the factory parts as they are powder coated. I would not try and save a buck with aftermarket. There is a difference.

Good luck
Rick"

"walter:

go here and click

"walter:

go here and click on the parts catalog. Once it opens, you'll see the 'source' for what the correct names are. In essense, the elbows are what the exhaust hoses are clamped to. the risers, if used, connect the elbows to the manifolds. Their purpose is to ensure the exhaust has an adequate slope to the transom outlet.

If your source for "fully closed" uses convention, then the risers are in the coolant loop and should last almost as long as the manifolds. The elbows are your primary concern.

if the risers are NOT on the coolant side, their life expectance is pretty much that of the elbows.

Many of us interchange riser with elbow...and bad habits die hard. to clarify Rick's comment, I'd pull the Elbows and check them. Don't forget the gaskets and plates.

Depending upon the specifics of where you boat, five to seven years is a 'normal' life for the elbows. Sounds like you are right about there, so what Rick said about having the new ones on hand is very good advice."

Back