Logo

1987 sunliner bowrider io

cire626

a friend of my dads gave me th

a friend of my dads gave me this boat that he purchased from goodwill 7 years ago with no title. my dad got it running and it was turn key at that time. i just got the boat home and the engine wont turn over. is there a start procedure that i need to use because it seems to be engaged. any info on this boat would be helpful

about 6 years ago. it does no

about 6 years ago. it does nothing but not sure if it will start with impeller ingaged. im in south carolina

Hey again Eric. Im in Prosperi

Hey again Eric. Im in Prosperity at lake Murray. When you crank the engine is it the prop thats turnning while cranking engine or something else that you mean by "it seems to be engaged"? if its the prop you may need to manualy put the trans in neutral at the shift lever on trans. this boat is just a turn key. I have the same boat and motor. feel free to hit me up on my email thomasj29108 at yahoo dot com.

Mine does not have one. Not to

Mine does not have one. Not to say previouse owner didnt remove it tho. since i have had mine it has just been turn key. Eric are you anywhere near Prosperity? if so maybe we could meet up and i may be able to help you out. I know how it os to have to look at the paperweight not running.

i am looking for the safety sw

i am looking for the safety switch but don't no where to start. thomas i am located in york but i moved from salley i remember those trips to the lake. i just hit a major stumbling block with the boat. goodwill only keeps records for 4 years so no paper work now i have to come up with another plan.

"I'm not sure on the inboa

"I'm not sure on the inboard outboard versions, but right on the tranny next to the bellhousing , on top, there should be two wires going to it. That would be the neutral safety switch."

thanks i will check that tommo

thanks i will check that tommorow. the lady at the dnr told me that my dads friend broke the law by giving me the boat and so did i by accepting it. so how is it legal for goodwill to sell it without a title.

GO TO THE TOP OF THE TRANNY AN

GO TO THE TOP OF THE TRANNY AND YOU WILL SEE A CABLE GOING TO A LEVER ON TRANNY. IF YOU DISCONECT THE CABLE FROM THE LEVER YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MANUALY SHIFT GEARS. NEUTRAL SHOULD BE STRAIGHT UP AND FORWARD (TOWARDS BOW) WOULD BE FORWARD GEAR AND BACK (TOWARDS AFT) WOULD BE REVERSE. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FEEL THE GEARS CHANGING. WHEN IN NEUTRAL RECONNECT CABLE TO THAT POSSITION. MY SAFTY SWITCH IS BYPASSED. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Eric:

An associate once tol

Eric:

An associate once told mme the easiest state to obtain a title is Alabama. May be worth a few minutes research the options they offer if you still have trouble locally. You may want to consider putting a lien on the hull/motor and obtaining the title that way....may not be the quickest but should be viable.

I have a 1987 Sunliner and the transmission just went out today. Looking for a transmission. Also would be willing to sell. Engine and outdrive runs like new and the outdrive was rebuilt last summer.

1987 Sunliner 189 Parts

Ok, I must first let everyone know that I know little-to-nothing about boats and/or boating. The boat was a 1987 Sunliner 189 w/140hp Mitsubishi Engine, Borg-Warner Series 1500 Velvet Drive Transmission & (2) PCM I/O Drives (I hope this tells you what you need to know because it is as much as I know, but I can scan in the owners manual if that would help). My uncle and I stripped everything off of his boat because he finally got tired of looking at it sitting in his backyard. Basically, we kept everything except for the gas tank and hull.

Anyway, I asked him why he originally quit using the boat. His reply is as follows: "When I left it to eat lunch I didn't turn off the water to the flushing ears. That allowed water to seep past the pick-up pump in the out drive and into the exhaust manifold. Some leaked into an open valve or two, and when I started the engine again after lunch the resulting pressure from the water in the engine damaged it. It's good for most parts, but I wouldn't think the crankshaft or bearings are any good. All of the upper parts (i.e. the head, intake, cams, exhaust manifold, carburetor, ignition, starter, etc.) should still be good. I'd like to part with the entire thing at one time but I'm not going to give it away. Those are all special marine parts and are expensive."

The sale also includes one additional PCM I/O drive. The one pictured is the replacement for the additional one (no pictures, because it is under his house at the moment) that the insurance company didn't want to fish off of the bottom of the lake after it was ripped off by a rock. Would be excellent for parts or an entire I/O if that's what you wanted to do with it (Note—the additional I/0 does need the little fin on the bottom welded back together). However, it does have everything else needed in order to be operational.

Finally, the original galvanized trailer in the first few pictures is to be included as part of this sale. You are just going to have to come take a look at everything, and make me an offer if you are interested; because I have no idea where to start on pricing this stuff.

Thanks, Rad

Back