Logo

Velvet Drive Overheating

Interesting. Hale has seen it all, I think. You've been thru a lifetime of VD R&R's, hopefully a new(er) reduction will make this all play together. On the bright side, you can now deliver more power to the prop, instead of heating up oil ! These normally have a 3% or so loss, you might have been running closer to 10!

He said something about a different baffle and a different reduction planetary. Will get full details Monday when I pick it up.

Picked it up yesterday (new baffle, new piston), put it back together tonight, and the bay test is tomorrow. We shall see.

It's a sad ending. Ran for a little longer but still overheating.
At this point I am not sure if I get a new 2.10 to replace the overheating one or if I get second 1.88 or 1.91 (I have a 1 trans sitting on my shop floor that is good, have to check ratio) and then swap props.

Ouch; they replaced more than just the baffle and a clutch piston, correct? I guess I can't offer much in the way of more leads, but I'm sure you are tired of these R&R's. An entire new reduction system is what I'd do next, if that wasn't yet done.

Rich...I too am impressed by your determination after so many removals and installs. I know how defeating it can be....Good Luck. Al

Everything was checked or replaced except the reduction. Pump, piston, baffle, clutches are what I know are new. When it comes to replacing the reduction, at that point it becomes for a few more boat bucks ($100 dollar bills) get a whole new trans. I am dreading the fact that it has to come out once again but I have the removal down to 1.5 man hours. Instal is about the same but I am out lots of antifreeze (hx is over trans), trans fluid (obvious why), oil and filters and the time I should be enjoying the boat instead of sweating (even with a/c) in the bilge.

I just keep looking to the time when it is back together and running fine.

No more buzzer sounding when it gets hot. After that, it depends upon how hot it gets and for how long. eventually, something will seize up due to lack of lubrication as the oil becomes pretty useless the hotter it gets.

I assume you are in the reduction section. That's the one section of these gears I have not broken down. Do you see obvious gear wear in there? The manuals are not much help in this area, except for the parts breakdown view. Are you looking at Fig 12 in the service manual? I'd be tempted to send the pinion cage assy to Hale, and I'm not one to shy away from stuff!

There is a pinion pin (large) retaining pin (small) that has to be driven out, it appears inorder to get to the planetaries.
The sun gear shows a retaining clip, which looks like an easy removal.

Last edited:
Had to pull the adapter plate to get to the retaining clip. Reduction is apart and new(er) reduction is ready to go back together to hopefully solve this finally. Can see some wear on the gears as well as signs of heat on the planetary gears.

Looks like you have your answer about just disconnecting the buzzer. You are already seeing heat exposure to the gears? Man, that is determination...Keep posting Rich, Kinda like the season finale to "Dallas"....keeps you hangin on

The theory is the planetary was heating up and causing the overheat. I never made any real trips since last October, just bay tests (approx 3-5 miles at 3300 RPM) and it was still overheating after changing just about everything (with the replacement planetary, now it is everything). I have it all back together but since it's been pretty stormy the bay test will have to wait.

Rich, do you run the sound off the north shore or the south shore area. I saw some wicked storms on the news in those areas yesterday....I guess they are thinking tornados

Took the bay test today and no buzzer (yes it's connected). Trans was within in 3 degrees (162-165) of the other so we might have solved this FINALLY. Need a real run to confirm but I think all might be OK.

My hat's off to you for seeing this one thru - Congrats!!!!

So, exactly how much of the reduction unit did you change?

Also, thanks for sharing this one; definitely an uncommon event for most of us.

OMG.... am I the only one who's scared to death of this post? Way to hang in there, I get in the zone sometimes on problems and there's no stopping me. I admire and hate this about myself at the same time :)

And I've been bitching about being out two weeks after taking out my Stb side running gear.

Give us the "final" ok so we can all sleep tonight!

Bob

I'm gonna call it fixed. Havn't made a long run but on the two 6 mile runs over the weekend its been very close to the other trans temp.

I'm gonna call it fixed. Havn't made a long run but on the two 6 mile runs over the weekend its been very close to the other trans temp.

You should get some kind of DIY award for this one. A lessor man would have thrown in the towel some time ago.

Two 15 mile runs this past weekend towing a 15' Whaler at 19-20kts and no buzzers. Gearing up for the 3 hour runs in a few weeks

Back