Logo

85 OMC Stringer tilt problem

harleh20

"I have installed a new tilt m

"I have installed a new tilt motor, cleaned out the clutch and put in the "purple" grease from Wal Mart as Chiefalen instructed. Now I can control the speed the drive goes down, but it still stuggles lifting the drive. Sometimes the tilt stops working, just "clicks" up top at the solenoids. If you tap the tilt motor you can get it to go again. I forgot to mention that I changed the solenoids too during this attempt to correct the situation. Any ideas anyone? All help is much appreciated. Special thanks to Chiefalen for his tilt clutch fix !!"

"the battery fully charged, th

"the battery fully charged, the zerk fittings greased behind the bumpers?

All the connections clean?

The ground also?

You can try running a jumper wire made out of a spare battery cable straight to the solenoids, positive, is all you need.

Also the motor connections are clean?

Try the jumper get back to us. Don't ask how i know it will work i would never leave a jumper in place " wink "."

Re: "the battery fully charged, th

Lee, first of all thank you for the complete write up on the sterndrive power tilt system. I used it to find my problem but now I need some advice.
My systems motor works and I found that the tilt worm shaft has both of the tips that engage the hammer blow coupler. They are both broke off inside the hammer blow. Here lies the problem. I can't get the broken pieces out of the coupler. What is the best way to get them out?
Or do I have to remove the motor and coupler from inside?
If so what is the best way to remove the motor. I'm mechanical but have never worked on marine system?
Johann Nield. Dayton Wyoming 82836

Sent from my iPhone

Back