Logo

2007 BF225 rough idle and white smoke

nikora27

"Hey all, I've had a BF225

"Hey all, I've had a BF225 for three seasons now and need some help. It idles very rough, shaking left and right, the rpm's don't drop or rise but the engine just shakes a lot. Another problem is white smoke, no smoke at all at start up but after riding around for a while when putting it in neutral it just spews white smoke non-stop. Also my boat used to max out at 47mph now it maxes at 36. Nothing had changed on the boat. Any help would be appreciated."

"May be serious, or may not be

"May be serious, or may not be. Check RPM's - should be 600 to 650. Idle speed is controlled by the ECM but can be adjusted. First thing I would do is run a decarboning mixture through the engine - Yamalube Ring Free or Seafoam. Follow instructions carefully. That should free up any stuck rings and valves. If still a problem, then a compression test is needed. If you have a Honda dealer within a reasonable distance, get an HDS read out on the engine. Many times that will pinpoint the problem."

"White smoke is usually steam.

"White smoke is usually steam. This can be caused by leaking gaskets. It can also be caused if the cooling system is not supplying enough water. This causes the water temp to rise, eventually producing steam in the cooling system, which will find its way into the exhaust."

Honda 35hp 1994 with 1500 hrs

Honda 35hp 1994 with 1500 hrs total running time. Engine starts and idles and runs perfectly well. A get a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust even when engine is warmed up and on a warm day. Any suggestions on course of action. Thanks Keith.

Back