Logo

Rectifier or Regulator

welljax96

"I have a 1996 Johnson 112 hp

"I have a 1996 Johnson 112 hp SPL, model # XJ112SLEDR. It has a rectifier in the charging system that is defective. I figured this out by reading other discussion posting. They were all quite helpful. My question is can I purchase a rectifier / regulator combo for this engine insted. My concern is that I have two batteries and they happen to not be vented. As I understand it the rectifier only may cause over charging under prolonged runs. Is there a compatiable rect./reg. part that will work on this engine? Thanks for any help."

"Without a manual in front of

"Without a manual in front of me, I beleave you have a rectifier/regulator in your system. Some of the earlier OMC's were unregulated. With 2 batteries in your system you shouldn't have to worry about an over charge problem."

If you use a common rectifier

If you use a common rectifier ($20 radio shack) you would have to run ab0ut 20 hours straight to get to the point where your batteries would start to boil!
Thats all the old ones had and they are really not that bad of a setup except the round omc ones were crap!~

I think you will find that 20&

I think you will find that 20" (long shaft) models have a the simple round non regulated rectifier and that 25" (extra long shaft) models have the water cooled rectifier/regulator together with a higher output stator coil.

With the lower output coil a regulated rectifier should not be necessary.

Thanks to all for all the comm

Thanks to all for all the comments and feed back. I will stay with the rectifier only set up and order a new one. Thanks again.

Back