Logo

1973 Sears Ted Williams 45hp High Speed Idle adjustment

masscuppic

"I’ve got a ‘73 Ted Williams 4

"I’ve got a ‘73 Ted Williams 4.5hp (model #217.59463 ). Picked it up for 25 bucks. Its in decent shape after sleeping for about 8 years. My son and I cleaned it up, replaced the spark plug and fuel lines and it fires right up. Great spark. Starts, Idles and runs well except for the fact that we can’t move the throttle much past the start position. It will hold a nice slow idle just fine, will push the boat around a half throttle, but won’t go anywhere near full throttle. Just stalls out every time. We’ve tried tweaking the idle adjustment from rich to lean...no change. Is there another way to adjust the idle? Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated."

"Sounds like your idle is work

"Sounds like your idle is working, so look under the carb for the nut, and adjuster that holds the float bowl on. Open it up 1/4 turn and try again. If it has no adjuster, you have a fixed jet and will need to remove the float bowl screw and clean it out. Don't disturb the float bowl but spray op the hole with carb cleaner and let run out. then put the jet back in and try again. If it isn't fixed, you will need to take the carb apart."

"Mine wont go full throttle un

"Mine wont go full throttle unless in gear. In netural, it will only idle. Try putting it in gear and revving it up. Should work then.."

"Sorry, I posted too fast,and

"Sorry, I posted too fast,and didn't read that it pushed you'r boat slowly.So you did have it in forward gear..I just rebuilt my carb and found the little fuel pump bladder to be dry rotted in the back side of my carb.Mine is fixed jet,and the hollow bolt that holds the fuel bowl on has tiny hole(jet )near head of bolt in threads that needs cleanning.Only adjustment on mine is the screw with spring on left side middle section of carb.A carb kit may solve your problems.I got my kit off e-bay, and it came with great instructions and extra parts to fix most any eska carb.Just not a new float. Good luck to you. P.S. Found some good utube videos on rebuilding these carbs you may want to check out. Most were for mowers ect. , but they are basic tucumshe as are these and will walk you through the steps."

Back