Logo

62L 320HP Merc Bravo III engine question

rciraco

"I was almost dead set on gett

"I was almost dead set on getting a boat with a volvo penta 5.7L 320HP DP, but i am aware it has an open loop cooling system. I am now hesistant to get the boat.

I am now looking at a boat with the Merc 6.2L 320HP B3 engine. Is this a closed loop cooled system?

The boat is going to be used only in salt water and I am not sure which route to go.

Please advise all.

Thank you."

"Depends, does it have a heat

"Depends, does it have a heat exchanger, if so could be engine only, engine and manifolds."

I'm not sure if it has a h

I'm not sure if it has a heatshield. This would be the engine found on the 2006 sea ray 250 slx. The 6.2L 320 HP output.

"Ray,

Any of these engines

"Ray,

Any of these engines you are looking into could be either raw water cooled or a closed cooling system. What you will need to look for is to see if these engines have a small radiator or coolant reservoir anywhere on the block. That will be your tell tale sign..As far as always using your boat in salt water, you mentioned that it would be pulled every month or 2 to clean barnicles etc..If your gonna do that than raw water cooled would be sufficient if you run salt terminator through engine when out of the water. This is a solution you dissolve in with water and run it through muffs to clean out the salt.

Good luck"

"Just saw the pics of the engi

"Just saw the pics of the engine cover and it is the MX 6.2 MPI Horizon (320-hp). When I spoke to the dealer, I cannot recall if he said that the MPI Horizon was raw water cooled or fresh water cooled.

He also said that there is some kind of engine mods that they could do that would take about 12-14 hours of labor and an additional $300 kit which would allow me to flush the engine while its still in the water without having to take the boat out to flush the engine.

So, is the MX 6.2 MPI Horizon (320-hp) itself ok in the saltwater as long as I change the zincs, or is there something else i need to do with this engine to make sure it last a while in the salt water?

Thanks all."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
294686.jpg
engine pic - is this ok for salt water?

yes

this is a raw water coo

yes

this is a raw water cooled engine.I would get a closed cooling system to be on the safe side

"Thanks.. the boat im loo

"Thanks.. the boat im looking at is a 2005. Is going the route to have a closed loop system installed on this engine from a certified merc mechanic worth it for the 14 hours of labor? On another note, Do the big block 496 mag's 375 HP already come with a closed loop system standard?"

I would go w/a full engine and

I would go w/a full engine and exhaust manifold closed cooling system. The initial cost will be recovered by not having to replace manifolds due to salt damage.

"Guys, I really appreciate you

"Guys, I really appreciate your help. Me being a newbie with engines, I want to make sure I do it right from the start.

Do the merc engines from 2006 and newer all come "raw water cooled" from the factory? The only engine configs I see on the boats I am looking at are.

350 MAG MPI
5.0L 260HP
496 Mag 375 HP
6.2L 320 HP per the pic above

Do these engines require me to have the dealer modify them to make them fresh water cooled?

If the boat with one of these engines comes with a corsa exhaust, does having the exhaust system added already make the engine freshwater cooled?

Perhaps if you guys could give me a list of the engines, or the words I need to use when I speak to the dealer or service department that should help me out

Thanks again for your help"

"Need to clarify with the deal

"Need to clarify with the dealer on what he is suggesting be installed. Just a plumbing addition to flush the motor while in the water should not be a 12 hour job. Installing a complete closed cooling system could be. If the boat has been operated in salt water since 2005 the exhaust manifolds and risers could already need to be replaced prior to installing a closed system. There are two types of closed (or "fresh water cooled")systems - partial, where only the block has the closed system, the exhaust parts still have salt water in them. And
"complete" where the block and the exhaust manifolds are fresh water. The exhaust risers would remain salt water cooled. From the pics it appears to be a fresh water boat but you should confirm that is the case before proceeding with any modifications.}"

"Like Henry said: Either a pa

"Like Henry said: Either a partial FWC block only, a full FWC includes the manifolds and risers but not elbows or a RWC where everything is cooled w/seawater."

"Hey Guys, you have all missed

"Hey Guys, you have all missed one point ! The outdrive. If Ray is going to run an Alpha drive, no problem, but if the motor is going to coupled up to a Bravo, he'll need to order a Bravo motor with the raw water pump mounted on it, or have it fitted. That will mean the installation of the extra mounting brackets and he'll have to make sure the pump will clear the starboard front engine bed.
."

"here is my situation.

I am

"here is my situation.

I am going to get a boat and I dont have any choice but to have it in a salt water slip for 7 months out of the year. It is NOT going to be lifted. I want to buy a freshwater boat becauase we know it has not already dealt with the harsh salt water environment.

What kind of Mercruiser engines would be ok to go with for model years 2002 - present?

or better yet, what engines should I avoid for salt water?

Thanks"

"None, if your worried about f

"None, if your worried about flushing the motor you can use muffs underwater to flush a motor or make a adaptor using some ball valves and hoses to attach a hose to the engine and divert the seawater pump overboard."

Back