Logo

Morse controls

luhrs_40

Contributing Member
89 Luhrs 454s flybridge only

89 Luhrs 454s flybridge only controls...original morse controls port throtle when running over 3200 RPMs after a few seconds slides back to under 3000..Is there an adjustment for cable to stay in place?

"Peter, there is. My starboard

"Peter, there is. My starboard engine did the exact same thing! I took the cover off (two screws) and there are a series of screws (BTW these controls are hard to screw up so go at it). The screw at the middle i tightened down a turn and that stopped my slip. However I then had to re-adjustment my tower controls (wont be a problem for you)."

Thanx Ted i took that small co

Thanx Ted i took that small cover on top off and there are 2 screws there but i think those are for the shifter limits... no?

"there are two for front and b

"there are two for front and back shifter limits then there is one that tightens the control itself. I am away from the boat until next weekend, I havent adjusted mine since july 4th weekend....again I would just take a look and try tightening a few screws..."

Thanx Mako when i got your mes

Thanx Mako when i got your message i was at the boat so i did tighten the side screws at the shifter arm It feels better and tight but i have to take the boat out for a ride to see if problem is solved Thanx again

"I think the one you want is r

"I think the one you want is referred to in the guide as a BRAKE screw (maybe tension screw) for the throttle functions. It works like a clamp over the pivot...once you get your bearings, it is pretty obvious.

ps - if you have dual stations, only adjust one control's brake screws - leave the others with no tension. If they are connected serially, you shouldn't need much friction/tension; if parallel, it usually requires a bit more."

Sorry about that. you didn&#39

Sorry about that. you didn't specify which one so you got what what in my "online library".

Glad you got the proper one and know which one to snug up.

"Thanx again Mako, since i got

"Thanx again Mako, since i got this thread going let me ask u about my 89 carburator 454s The port engine burns 2-3 gallons gas more than the starboad, at cruise speed.. Timing is good compression is fine... WOT both egines are around 4500 RPMs You think can it be carb adjustment? I do have a vaccum gauge can i use it to adjust the air mixture?"

"..."I do have a vacuum ga

"..."I do have a vacuum gauge can i use it to adjust the air mixture?"

No on several levels, A vacuum gage says "no vacuum" at high throttle, and you can't adjust the carb's mixture with the idle screws.

Instead, first put an indicating timing light on the motors and see if the spark is advancing all the way. Rev the motors to about 3,000 rpms in neutral.

Next, look for a dirt flame arrestor--that was causing mine to misbehave. Finally, if nothing seems to help, it's prop truing time.

Good luck!

Jeff"

"Peter:

Like Jeff said, the

"Peter:

Like Jeff said, the idle mixture screws won't make any difference once you open the throttles enough to expose the transfer slots.

sadly, a few GPH difference between engines, at the same RPM, especially counter-rotaters, is not uncommon on factory tuned, carbed setups. What you can do is to use the vacuum gauges and record VAC & GPH vs RPM, for both engines (ignition advance is also good to record). You should find the GPH varies inversly with VAC; vac goes down, GPH goes up. Getting identical VAC readings on both engines across the RPM range is very tough due to tolerances and wear.

Once you have the baseline measurements, it isn't too hard to figure where to start tweaking to get things where you want them. It does take lots of time and most people don't want to invest it.

Unless your boat is super heavy or geared wrong, you should have a reasonable amount of VAC in the intake manifold at cruise. Everything you can do to increase that cruise VAC reading will improve your fuel economy."

Not really a biggie...i do hav

Not really a biggie...i do have the flowscans and around 3200 RPMs port engine burns 11 gallons Starboard burns around 13- 14 GPH But engines run well so best thing is not to touch it Thanx again

"That's around the cut-in

"That's around the cut-in point for the factory supplied power piston springs and usually where the secondary throttle plates are opening but the air valves are still closed. probably running ~ 7" of VAC at that point. If the engines are close but not even there, seeing up to 3 GPH difference is possible.

if these conditions are met, the tweaks to equalize and lower the fuel consumption are pretty easy and relatively cheap. They'll pay for themselves within the first fillup. That's at least $9/hr....."

Back