Logo

My Mercury 50 hp wonbt fully open

"I have a 2001 Mercury 50 hp 3

"I have a 2001 Mercury 50 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke, I just recently cleaned the carbs, and fully drained the gas tank due to it sitting for a while. It ran really good one day then i think water got in the gas tank so i cleaned the carbs and now that i have it running again, i took it out today and the carbs won't fully upen and i max out at 3mph. the motor stays running and wont stole but wont open either, what should i do and what might be the problem?"

"check for spark on each cyl,

"check for spark on each cyl, check the compression, clean the carbs again.Sure sounds like the main jets are gummed up"

"plugs are good, compression i

"plugs are good, compression is good all 3 cyl, 120. i have tried cleaning the jets twice now. and suggestions on how to clean better?"

"Are you sure each cyl is gett

"Are you sure each cyl is getting spark, I know you said the plugs are good. On the bottom of the carbs there should be a plug, remove it and verify the main jet behind it is clear. Each carb should be full of fuel when you check it. And, did you try pumping the fuel bulb to see if it helps, maybe its a simple plugged fuel vent, I dought it but..."

"I checked the spark it is goo

"I checked the spark it is good. i will check the carb tomorrow in the morning but, the cap on my fuel vent broke off while pressure cleaning it. and it is close to water level, when i load my boat up at the ramp the vent goes under water, is this bad? and would this cause any problems? And thank you very much for the help thus far."

"Yes its bad, yes you have wat

"Yes its bad, yes you have water in the fuel, drain the tank,filters carbs. Water is heavier than fuel, so it is the first thing into the engine since the pickup is on the bottom"

"alright just did a gas test i

"alright just did a gas test it still looks good, thats weird though because the cap that came of the vent does not restrict the flow of water even if it was on, and i bought a new vent and this one doesn't even have caps over the vents and the mechanic said the all stop the flow of water, and why would they put the vent so close to water level if water cant get in them? but another thing i just took my air box off to look in the carbs again, and the buttom carb looks like it is getting oil in it, is that suposed to happen? could this be a problem?"

"You tilted the engine, some f

"You tilted the engine, some fuel/oil spilled, the fuel evaporated and left the oil. Carbs must be removed and cleaned, no short cuts. If one carb is plugged that cyl gets no fuel or oil and ruins your engine quickly."

alright i am cleaning the carb

alright i am cleaning the carbs right now. have the top carb off completely cleaned the jets but i think the float on this carb is a little off how do i set them?

"Hey i just wanted to say than

"Hey i just wanted to say thank JB for helping out, cleaned the carbs again and put in a new fuel vent line. took it out today and ran perfect so thanks for the advice"

Back