Logo

200 HP Mariner Alarm

I recently bought a boat with

I recently bought a boat with a 200 HP Mariner outboard. When I put it in the water for the first time yesterday it started and ran just fine but after about 15 minutes or so of running I started getting a beeping alarm sound coming from the controls ( the forward-reverse-throttle control at the steering station). It continuied to beep at me as long as the motor was running. Anyone know what this alrm signifies? I only ran a few minutes intermittantly after it started as I tried to figure out what it meant. Oil injection make up tank on the motor was full so I don't believe it concerned this.

"A beep, beep, beep IS an out

"A beep, beep, beep IS an out of oil alarm - a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep is an overheat.

Even though the oil tank is full, the tank level sensor could be shot.

The sensor is a two part thing with the actual sensor at the bottom of the tank and the second part is a magnetic float the rides up and down with the oil level in the tank.

It's not uncommon for that magnetic float to break, the magnet sinks to the bottom and causes the alarm.

You can unhook the wires at the bottom of the oil tank (should be a bullet connector within a couple inches of the wires coming from the bottom of the oil tank - if the alarm goes away that will confirm that the problem is either in the sensor or the float - if the alarm continues you could have a bad ground somewhere in the harness or the alarm module itself may be toast..."

"Can I assume the same thing f

"Can I assume the same thing for my 75 HP mariner? 1995 3 cyl, just had new water pump and carb rebuild, first time out today after sitting through winter and the alarm just started going off, after about 45 mins running. Still does it sitting in the driveway as soon as i even turn the ignition key..."

"Yep - solid "beeeeeeeeep&

"Yep - solid "beeeeeeeeep" would be a toasted temp sensor, intermittent beep, beep, beep, would be a busted oil level sensor.

The temp sensors are just built crappy and fail. The oil sensors themself is fine, it's the float assembly that was built like crap (which breaks).

Personally, I would not go the cost of correcting an oil level sensor. On most models the (under the hood) oil tank will give you about 8 hours (run time) worth of oil.

Often, to repair the oil sensor you have to replace the entire tank assembly - I would save my money and just remember to top up the oil tank before each outing.

But definately would replace the temp sensor(s). You can disconnect it and take your chances, but that would be the one time that a plastic bag floating in the water would cover your water intakes and you would fry your motor.

A temp sensor is 25-50 bucks, a rebuilt powerhead about 2 1/2 grand - I understand the math on that one..."

"I have a 1989 Mariner 150, th

"I have a 1989 Mariner 150, the motor runs great. But I too am having this oil alarm go off. I have a couple of questions on how the sensors and alarm work. Is the sensor in the resivor on top of the motor the only sensor sending signal to the alarm by the throttle? I have heard that there is a screen on the tank in the boat? do I have to worry about loosing prime in the oil line when checking this? Also do i have to worry about loosing prime when checking the magnet on the sensor on top of the tank?"

"I have a 1996 mercury 225 , t

"I have a 1996 mercury 225 , the motor runs great. But i have a alarm sound every minute or two . The main oil tank is full and the one of the motor is full . What can it be."

Back