Logo

Can automotive water pumps be used

"Hey guys,

I'm a firm b

"Hey guys,

I'm a firm believer in using only marine parts on my boat however I'm wondering if it's really necessary to use a chris craft water pump. I'm in the process of repowering with 2 new chevy 350's. Being that the water pump is just pumping antifreeze and doesnt come into contact with seawater should I really spend the extra $60.00 per pump? I can get chevy water pumps for $30.00 versus $90.00 for the marine water pump. This saves me $120.00 Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
E!"

"You will need a Reverse Rotat

"You will need a Reverse Rotation Pump for the Reverse Rotation engine, but I cannot see any other reason to not use the Automotive ones.

Especially as yo8u aren't pumping Salt Water.

Bruce."

"RE:" 2 new chevy 350'

"RE:" 2 new chevy 350's"
If you are repowering with marine engines, they should come with marine water pumps.
One should NOT use an automotive or truck engine to repower a boat.

Insofar as just the water pumps, Bruce is 100% correct."

"hey guys,

Thanks for savin

"hey guys,

Thanks for saving me the $120.00. Thats what I figured. To robert fiero: I am repowering with chevy 350 marine longblocks. They come with marine camshafts, marine gaskets, marine freezeout plugs etc, etc... however, these do not come with the water pumps. I have seen longblocks that do come with the pumps but they could not match the price $975.00 or the written warranty 5 years unlimited hours/no restrictions except cracked block. Most companies offer 1-3 years. Thanks again guys. This site rules!!

E!"

"Hey Robert,

I ordered the

"Hey Robert,

I ordered the two chevy 350's from california engines. (530-550-0355) One standard rotation $975.00 one reverse..$1200.00. I'm only telling you guys about them because they were so helpful and polite it was like a breath of fresh air. It was nice to deal with someone who actually made you feel like they appreciated your business not to mention made me feel protected. A 5 year warranty no questions asked is a great deal. When I was pulling out my starboard engine I accidently snapped my oil dipstick tube, I called them and Mark said no problem I'll throw it in for no charge. Also normally the chevy 350 comes with 260 HP theirs come with 285HP due to a larger cam. My uncle just called them to order a chrysler LM318 and they do that also. They seem like a very good company. If you happen to call them tell them that eric from brooklyn refered you.... good luck guys!!!

E!"

"I realize this thread is a mo

"I realize this thread is a month old.

Just an FYI.... a difference that some do not often consider is the type of pump <u>shaft seal</u> for "raw water cooled" vs a "Closed Cooling" system (Ethylene Glycol solution).
The Raw Water seal is of a different type, whereas the pump to be used in a Closed Cooling system relies on the E/G for partial lubrication of the shaft seals.

Then consider the bronze impeller and SS back cover <u>vs</u> the non!

As for reverse rotation.... I'd agree with Bruce...... although the impeller on the pump does not care which direction it is being turned..... (it is a "centrifugal" pump)...... but some of the internal porting on the suction side may be different.

Notice the different shape of the housing on this "Bi-Directional" Circ Pump..... and notice the sightly different location of the STBD side WH/Cabin Heater return port:
http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/SIE/SIE3574.html

Here's one that is claimed to be "Bi-Directional" but looks similar to the std rotation pump:
http://www.masonmarine.net/mercruiser-water-circulating-pump-volvo-p-663.html

Notice the shape of the housing on this standard rotation marine engine Circ Pump;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marine-Water-Pump-Small-Block-GM,Mercruiser,OMC,V olvo_W0QQitemZ370240848234QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=370240848234

Best to use the Counter Rotation pump if there is a question.

And why do these guy's pictures often show these pumps up-side-down?
uhoh.gif

."

Just a heads up regarding the auto water pumps vs. marine pumps debate. I went ahead and purchased the auto pump and installed it on my chevy 350. It lined up perfectly to the block however once installation was complete I realized that the pulley extended out to far and caused a misalignment with the belts for the sea pump and the alternator and had to be scrapped!! So for future reference I would have to say auto water pump cannot be used. I wasted the 30 bucks on the auto pump and more valuable my time. Thats what I get for breaking my rule. MARINE PARTS ONLY!!!!!! Good luck Guys

On my Volvo Penta 5.7GL a auto pump couldn't be install unless one of the plastic chain case bolt heads was ground down a little. This bolt prevented the pump mating surfaces from contacting one another. Maybe volvo's way of detering the use of auto pumps. I'm switching back to a Marine pump from Ebasic power for $69.95.

............. I went ahead and purchased the auto pump and installed it on my chevy 350. It lined up perfectly to the block however once installation was complete I realized that the pulley extended out to far and caused a misalignment with the belts for the sea pump and the alternator and had to be scrapped!! So for future reference I would have to say auto water pump cannot be used. I wasted the 30 bucks on the auto pump and more valuable my time. Thats what I get for breaking my rule. MARINE PARTS ONLY!!!!!! Good luck Guys
There have been two (2) Engine Circulating Pumps for the Automotive SBC for some time now.
The first generation was in 1955, and it was the short body Circulating Pump.
The short body is the same style that has been used in the Marine application up to the use of the Composite Timing Cover engines.
A few years later came the long body Circ Pump for cars/trucks, and to my knowledge, was never part of a Marine application.

It sounds as though you purchased the long style "Circ Pump", rather than the short style!

I agree with Ricardo,

No matter which engine it is, and the same applies to Big Block Chevs, is that there are two different pumps.

Each will fit the engines, but the spacings are different.

You can use a Short Pump when a Long Pump is required, but Spacer Blocks have to be inserted between the Block and the Pump.

Aftermarket places have these Spacers.

Bruce.

Just to be clear; The automotive "Circulating" pump may not have the correct ceramic shaft seal, and it may not have the bronze impeller nor SS back plate.
The pump shaft "bearing box" will be much the same.

• For a marine engine with a Closed Cooling system, the automotive Circ pump will work OK. (It actually won't even know that it has been installed on a marine engine! :rolleyes:)
  • For a marine engine that is raw water cooled, the automotive Circ pump may fail in the not so distant future.
  • Then of course we have the pump body designed to work with the later composite timing chain cover.

Bruce, serious question here.... You mention "spacers" for when a short body would be used to replace a long body....., what marine application uses the long engine "circ" pump? Just curious!

Last edited:
G'day Ricardo,

I just added the "spacer information" just in case someone could only get a Short Pump, and needed a Long one.

When people are installing different engines into anything, there are a number of things that they could have used to fit anything.

I have known people to put Auto stuff into a Marine application, and didn't know any different.

I have even done the reverse, and put a Marine motor into a car, but that was a Mercruiser 327, and I still have the butchered Copper Sump, and the Marinised Rochester 4CG Carby.

Bruce. >:D

Back