Logo

50 MPI Starter Motor

outbid

"Help me!

On 3 different oc

"Help me!

On 3 different occasions and for 3 different reasons I have flooded the engine bay and drowned the started motor.

Each time the starter works for a few days and then gives in due to the salt corrosion.

Why would Mercruiser be so silly as to place the starter there????

Can the starter motor be refurbished??

Besides seeing that I don;t flood the engine bay again, what can I do to prevent this happening again?"

I would exchange the starter f

I would exchange the starter for a remanufactured one. Why are you flooding the engine bay? Do you have an automatic bilge pump? If you are not around then the autobilge pumps out the water until the battery runs out of current. My auto bilge pump is connected to one of 2 deep cycle batteries that run my trolling motor. The engine start battery is separate. My bilge pump is 500 GPM.

"[b]"Why would Mercruiser

""Why would Mercruiser be so silly as to place the starter there????"

Ayuh,... Why would You be so silly as to Flood the Bilge,..??
3 Times,..??
In Saltwater no less,.....

I see you having to Replace awhole lot more than Starters.....

Btw,... My barge has a 1000gal.,+ a 1500gal. blige pumps,...
I like redundancy on My boats.... But not flooding the bilge..."

So as to save face here are th

So as to save face here are the reasons.

1. The mechanic never switched he cooling tap off on the motor. ( the one that tests if all the pipes are clear and this flooded the engine bay!

2. The was a previous repair that was unbeknown to me that was badly repaired and this opened up whilst at sea resulting in the flooding.

3. I have a hoist manufactured in Australia called an AIRBERTH. When it raises the bow goes up at an angle resulting in the stern dropping into the water. THe stern dropped too low and took water.

So there we are.

All 3 were for different reasons but it is really frustrating to have to have now replaced the starter 3 times!!!!!!

Why would they manufacture the starter in such a silly place and if I heaven forbid wet it a forth time what immediate steps can I take to save it?

i am new to boats and i have a

i am new to boats and i have a 1988 glastron ssv-195 3.7 that needs a new starter now i have always been a decent backyard mechanic on cars before they came up with all that sensor crap anyway could someone tell me what is involved in changing the starter it appears that i have to remove the manifold but i'm not too sure is there a more simple way

"ALon

All General motors V8

"ALon

All General motors V8's and V6's prior to the LS models (not sure about them) mount the starters at the lower left BOTTOM of the motor.

Remeber that virtually all marine engines are adapted from automotive engines.

So the only way to keep a starter motor from rusting prematurely is to keep it out of water..................................

Joe,

You are dealing with a MERC motor, a 4 cyl aluminum motor with a ford 429 head and delco(?) gm type ignition and a outboard type charing system.

The stater is typically only a single wire motor and is held in by 2 maybe 3 bolts.

The starters on one of these is a no brainer!!"

Back