Logo

Ocean pro smoking alot

Two other things that I didnt

Two other things that I didnt mention. The carbs on this motor dont match the carbs on the port side motor. There is idle mixture screws on the starboard motor the motor with the problem. When I adjusted these screws nothing happen. In or out had no affect. The port side motor has no adjustment screws. The air intake cover is solid where as the problem motor has 6 ports leading to the mixture screws. The other things is that I noticed a clicking sound coming from the fuel pump when I took the video this afternoon. Click 1-2-3 click. I have switched fuel pumps and the pump from that problem motor works fine on the port motor.?? The tell tale ports on both motors pee the same. Im going to get a temp gauge and test the heads.

"Engine is running way too ric

"Engine is running way too rich. Gas is getting there from somewhere other than idle circuit of carbs..or carbs are wrong and leaking excessive gas into intake. Your ability to adjust the idle screws with no effect shows extra gas getting there from somewhere.

Pull the little primer hose off the back of #2 intake (top starboard, easiest one to get to) when running to make absolutely sure that no gas is pumping out of that hose. I swear it looks like the primer is stuck on, like you were running it with the key pressed in....

Here is a little story.....(don't ask why I do this, I have my reasons...)
When I am working/debugging my motor, I have a habit/trick for starting a cold engine, without having to go up to the helm to operate the key. I disconnect the boat harness, so I have no solenoid operation and also no kill circuit. Then I turn the primer lever to manual, and pump the primer bulb two times. This puts two bulbs full of gas into the back of the intakes thru the primer hoses. Return the primer lever to normal position and then I use a remote starter switch to crank it over. Starts up, but smokes EXACTLY like your video until it burns off all that extra gas.
My point is that your video looks just like when I am doing my little "bypass the harness / start test". Does that make ANY sense? Hard to describe....

So, someone switched carbs on it? The parts breakdown shows a fixed idle jet, no screws.
If this is a "new to you" motor that never has run right, maybe the carbs have the wrong jets.
My '96 200 carbs have #27 jets in the intermediate, with screws for idle adj.
This engine ever run right, or did you buy it this way and are now trying to fix her up?

VRO2 pump clicks during normal operation. That is OK. Now, it could be clicking too often...Click 1-2-3 click...MAY be too much. It MAY really be: click 1-2-3-4-5-6-7..click...at idle. A click (pump cycle) that is too often would indicate too much fuel being used, again indicating rich running. If you want, I will go and time the duration between clicks on my engine...and post. Cannot do it til Monday tho.

That is exactly the way my telltale looks. At idle, it pumps about 8 psi water pressure, and runs up to above 30 at WOT."

' When I adjusted these sc

' When I adjusted these screws nothing happen. In or out had no affect'
This is they 'key' to it all.
If screws all the way in and engine keeps running - where is the fuel coming from?
before tearing down the engine I would have taken the complete intake with carbs and all from the 'working' engine and tested!

"I have a set of 200 carbs off

"I have a set of 200 carbs off a ‘96, with idle adj screws and with throttle plates that you can try….
It is a lot of work, but may lead you to carbs being the issue.

Also, if you have an electrical problem in the boat harness and the primer solenoid is ALWAYS ON, like the key was depressed at all times,
your swapping of the solenoid would not detect such a problem….
Does the solenoid click on when the key is depressed, and click off when key is released?

Looking at the pics, I can still see honing marks on the cylinder wall….there is NO WAY I would rebuild this engine to fix this smoking problem.
Tops of pistons look normal too."

Cant sleep. Im having Evinrud

Cant sleep. Im having Evinrude nightmares. The Primer does click when the key is depressed and will click again when it is let go. Yes this is a new motor to me. I bought the boat thinking that the smoke was just a tuning issue or possible bad gas in the carbs. I have never even had the chance to run the boat yet cause of this engine. As far as the linkage goes. The motor will not run if its warm in neutral position. I have to engage neutral throttle a little in order to keep it running. If i return it back to neutral position it shuts off quickly. How would I know if the jets are the right ones? Could I simply remove them and take a look at them and be able to tell. The motor does burn way to much gas. I went through a 3gallon test tank in less than 30 mins. tank was empty. This is under a no load operation. In neutral im my driveway. The amount of oil/gas residue thats left over after running the motor is unbelievable. It leaves big black puddles on the rocks in the driveway.

"Your engine is just totally o

"Your engine is just totally out of adjustment and synch.
Get the correct manual and start from the BIG 0!
Mark TDC, adjust pointer, get the ignition lamp, set carbs at basic setting.
Remember to deactivate the quick start!"

I am really wondering if someo

I am really wondering if someone took the good working carbs off of that engine just before it was sold and then of course put the problem ones from another motor on it.
I can tell by looking at your pistons that the engine used to run right very recently!
A head does not get near as hot as a piston so the carbon doesnt bake on as hard and there for you have run this rich mixture long enough to wash the head but not the pistons.
If you tip the engine so that gas would run outward from the carbs instead of into the engine and pump the primer bulb up hard do you see any gas dripping out of any carbs?
And also will the bulb stay hard for a few minutes?

The primer ball will stay hard

The primer ball will stay hard. Im going to go through the jets again and check the numbers. Something isn't right. The fact that my idle mixture jet adjustments dont have any affect on the motor leads me to believe that I have bad carbs some how. How? I dont know but its my last option.

"Ok first I owe everyone an ap

"Ok first I owe everyone an apology. I went through the motor again and found the top recirculation port is clogged. This is the port that is at the top of the crank cover attached to the line that goes to the bottom of the crank. I pulled the 90degree elbow out and cleared it put it back in and it is still clogged. I checked the port side motor and you can blow air into the fitting easily. I took the elbow off again and tried to stick some 60lb test in the hole. When looking in the hole it seems to go from a large drill port to a small one in the back of the hole. The line goes in about an 1 3\4 in then stops. It wont go any further. How far should this line or port go? I tried a piece of wire and it does the same thing. Carb cleaner/compressed, nothing seems to unclog this port. The wire seems to go about 3\4in into the small port. Again I thought that the lines were clear cause I did the alcohol test per the manual and the line didnt seem to be clogged. Thanks"

Jwb all of the hoses and valve

Jwb all of the hoses and valves are fine. The hole in the top of crankcase (carb side) is clogged. Where as something got sucked into the port of the hole got clogged from something on the inside of the crank. This is not one of the valves or fittings thats clogged. I have pulled the 12 one way valves. I had checked all fittings with the alcohol per the manual but I never actually blew into this particular port. More or less if I change every single hose/fitting the problem is still going to be there. I need to know how to get this port clear. Its a machined hole drilled into the crankcase at the top of the power head next to the top main bearing. The port side motor is clear and you can (with the fitting on) eaisly blow air into the motor.

"ok...i misunderstood,...when

"ok...i misunderstood,...when i got my 200,4-out of six recirc valves on intake area,were bad."

"That clogged port is a seriou

"That clogged port is a serious problem. The top crank bearing gets lubricated with oil that has pooled at the bottom bearing. Vacuum draws the oil through that check valve, up to the top of the crank. If the port is clogged the oil remains at the bottom of the crank and eventually the lower cylinder runs on an extremely rich oil mixture."

Back