Logo

Cant select forward or reverse gear

damroc

"Hi all newbe to the site and

"Hi all newbe to the site and hope all is good, ive got a 1999 searay 215 with the standard alpha one outdrive. I went to take the boat out of the marina for the winter and had problems selecting gear, very tight and hard to push the control arm either way, anyhow got it on to the trailer and checked the control box all seems fine but the cable seems like its locked up. Im very handy with the spanners but im wondering if this particular outdrive suffers from this problem or have i a selector stuck in the out drive.Were the cables connect to the engine i have one to the carb and the other to the top of the engine, is their another cable that goes to the outdrive??? anyways hope for some advice asap. Many thanks in advance
DAMIEN"

"no never overheated, never sk

"no never overheated, never skipped a beat all season long, feels like something has weather seized up"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
294348.jpg
"

"thank kghost, had a quick loo

"thank kghost, had a quick look during my lunch and have isolated the problem from the small cable that goes to the bell housing, i cant really see were the cable connects to the bell housing or how at this moment in time. can i remove and replace or lube this cable with the outdrive in position or should it be removed. any ways thanks for all the help ( much more required)
Damien"

You can not assume it is the c

You can not assume it is the cable.

You have to remove the outdrive and look close at the linkage and where the cable end moves.

Removing the cable inner core can be done and it can be lubed with a very light oil like wd 40 but a better lube oil than that......something with teflon in it.

The outdrive must still be romoved to get the cable inner core out as well as removing the plastic end on the cable end at the shift bracket.

The vertical mechanical linkage that is in the bellhousing is notorious for "freezing up" and just needs to be removed and cleaned and reassembled with some good grease.

You need to troubleshoot more to find the ROOT CAUSE before just "fixing" stuff.

Put control in full forward ge

Put control in full forward gear position ( assuming all cables are still connected) If not PUSH short cable and have someone spin prop c'clockwise until it is lock in place.

Go to back of boat and with outdrive trimmed level (down) remove the trim rams. (outdrive will fall all the way down after this)
Remove 6 nuts and 5 washers from 6 studs.
pull the outdrive back and away and be carful and take your time as the ujoints and drive shaft should be supported so you do not do any damage to anything. If you do not have a lot of upper body strength get some help. The outdrive is not light.

Take pics and go slow and make note of where everything goes that you remove.

If you have never done any of

If you have never done any of this I am having doubts that you will be able to prceed without someone to assist you who has done some of this before.

Back