Logo

Weird problem TAMD41BDuoprop

zetec7

"Yesterday, was out for a run

"Yesterday, was out for a run in the boat, everything working perfectly, cruising at 3500 RPM @ 21 kts. Suddenly, the boat slowed way down, although revs stayed the same. Stopped the boat, slow reverse to clear any kelp etc. (nothing seen), then stated again. Revs go up easily, but now I get max 7 kts., and thick oil in my wake if the RPMs are over about 2500. Limped it back to the marina, had it hauled out & blocked. All looked normal (except for a small stream of water coming out of a small hole in the bottom of the exhaust bellows). Engine temp remained normal the whole time, oil pressure stayed normal, turbo spools up normally, no smoke in exhaust (just a slick of heavy, bubbly oil in my wake - think "Exxon Valdez" ...

First thought - is there an internal seal that could cause the clutch to slip, while spewing leg oil out into the water? Any other ideas?"

"First update - mechanic check

"First update - mechanic checked out the leg, advises the lower shaft is scored & needs replacement (apparently a seal went & allowed salt water in, scoring the shaft). The shaft isn't bent or broken, and the bearings are okay. The worn out seal would explain the loss of leg oil, but I can't figure out why the revs would be high with the speed low, like a worn-out clutch in a car. I understand that a worn clutch in these units can't cause that, though.

Can anybody help me figure this out? Anyone? Thanks in advance if you have any ideas..."

"Okay, final update - lower le

"Okay, final update - lower leg seal went, allowing seawater into the lower leg, scoring the lower shaft. And, for some strange reason, at exactly the same instant, the hubs on both props broke loose. The mechanics sent the props off for repair, and of course, the prop repair place had the props for 3 days before they realized they have to order hubs for them (I'm paying for on-the-hard storage by the hour). Oh well, another week. Total bill will be around $4,000."

Back