Logo

GG9002A 1956 5 2 Made by Gale Mod 5D12

bait_troller

OK so got this little motor ou

OK so got this little motor out on the the lake and then relized there is more to using these old motors then i thought. so maybe some one can help with a lesson?

So I got it out on the lake it seems to iddle along fine but if I raise the throttle it starts to cut out then die? I'm sure it has something to do with the two other nobs but i'm afraid it has been painted and i dont know what nobb is for what the carb is i beileve 5D12 so there is a nobb down low by the bowl and then a nobb up high next to the choke "not prime valve this model use choke" so can someone give this newbee a few pointer on how to get this thing to run smooth so i can spend more time fishing next time out?

Sounds like you are referring

Sounds like you are referring to the high and low speed needle screws. The bottom one is the high speed and is set initially at 3/4 turn out after being turned in until it just stops. The upper is the low speed and is set at 1 1/2 turns out. Start with those settings and then once you are on the lake go to wide open. Adjust the high speed needle clockwise until the motor starts to sputter and then counter clockwise until the same happens. Go back about mid way between the settings. Next do the same for the low speed while idling along. Recheck the high speed. Properly set you should be able to go from just barely making head way to get me off the lake now. Or at least as now can be for a 5HP motor.

Marine Gear Oil 85-90W. May a

Marine Gear Oil 85-90W. May also be called Gear Lube. Should hold around 9 ounces.

Back