Logo

Related problems

despy

Regular Contributor
"Boat is a mixture of differen

"Boat is a mixture of different components. 1974 Fibreform 24 ft. Originally was a 302 with MR drive but is now a 351W of unknown vintage married to a Alpha One from early 90`s.Just installed new risers and manifolds (Osco).
Overheating problem gradually getting worse. Was running at 170 (Closed cooling) but has now climbed up in the 190-200 range. Have noticed that starboard riser is only warm but port one will burn you. Also where the cooling lines T off the top of the heat exchanger, the one that goes to the starboard riser is hard with water pressure but the port one can be easily squeezed as if there is little water moving to that side.
Also have developed another problem which may be related. Boat suddenly seems to be taking on water and not just a little.
Have a few ideas of my own but looking for some knowledgeable advice on where is best place to start looking for the culprit or culprits ."

"Ayuh,... Have you Changed th

"Ayuh,... Have you Changed the raw water Impeller yet,..??
That's ALWAYS the 1st place to look in any Overheat situation...

The Leak into the boat is found by Only 1 Way,....
You've gotta LOOK..."

"Maybe I`m off-base here but i

"Maybe I`m off-base here but if the water to the risers comes off a T at the top of the heat exchanger unless there is a blockage somewhere why would one bank be getting lots of water and the other barely any. If the impellor was questionable would you really just lost pressure to one bank first?
blush.gif
As far as the bellows are concerned, haven`t yet had a chance to get my head back in there yet but was thinking of trying it on the muffs to see if the water was coming from the fresh water part of the cooling. Also, can an exhaust damper come loose and cause this kind of problem?"

"One side always runs cooler t

"One side always runs cooler than the other. Is one of the check valve balls stuck? Water, like electricity, takes the path of least resistance. I would check/change the impeller."

Back