Logo

Year of 40hp Mariner

alasdair1973

"I have recently purchased 2 4

"I have recently purchased 2 40hp mariners for my 5.4m Avon project. I can't find the year of these engines listed on the internet. Can anyone advise me of this? The serial numbers are:

40EL 6E9 L 421587 & 40ML 6E9 L 350836.

Any feedback on these motors would also be welcome....

Regards,

Alasdair"

"Alasdair,Graham is the man on

"Alasdair,Graham is the man on mariners,but he's probably gone fishing or still in bed
rofl.gif
.They are Yamaha built for mercury from the mid to late eighties.
40EL = 40hp,electric start,long shaft
40ML = 40hp,manual start,long shaft"

"Thanks Cliff, I didn't re

"Thanks Cliff, I didn't realise the different cylinders on them. Are they both two stroke and if so what mixture should they take? Any reason why I shouldnt mount them as a pair on my rib?

Cheers,

Alasdair"

"Alasdair,I'm going to con

"Alasdair,I'm going to contradict Cliff,I think yamaha built only 2cly models for merc.I may be wrong ,it won't be the first time.The number of plugs on the motors will tell you how many cylinders are on it.
Would you not need a counter rotation motor to make a pair?
Not sure of the science of it but two props turning the same direction close to each other rob the water from one another!!!!!!!!! Or would that only apply to bigger hp motors?"

Damn - I knew this would get c

Damn - I knew this would get complicated! I'll check out the plugs and hope that someone can shed some light on whether they can run side by side effectively or not....otherwise there will be 2 40hp mariners for sale and I'll be in the market for something bigger!

"Alasdair,

Noel may be righ

"Alasdair,

Noel may be right looking up mariner motors is not real clear which is why I added the cylinder numbers
hopefully we can get this sorted out for you"

"Yes, I believe Noel is correc

"Yes, I believe Noel is correct on this one - the 6E9 models were based on Yami's own 40FE and 40FM models and were all "twins".

A 4 cylinder Mariner would be a Merc/Mariner - it was in production the same time as the last couple model years of the Yami model, but it would have had a Merc serial 0Axxxxx or 0Bxxxxx.

They should run fine side by side with a little playing around on your part to find how to manually "sync" them.

Will most probably come down to running two tach's and fiddling with the throttle controls while you are underway..."

"Hey graham,

??
for my ow

"Hey graham,

??
for my own benefit in my serial number book it has 6E9 in the 4 cylinder section from 88 - 89 are all 6E9's Yamaha's??
unfortunately I do not have any electric data on this it only from a boo k
"

"Yes, all of the Yamaha/Marine

"Yes, all of the Yamaha/Mariner serials start with a Yamaha code - three characters that chart back to the Yamaha model that they were copied from (6E9 "C" models or 676 "A and B" models - in the case of the 40 horse) - with one exception that your book is probably referencing.

The 6F6 "Marathon" Mariners were a 4 cylinder (built during the 6E9 model run).

They only lasted for a couple of model years and then Merc took over full production of all the 40 horse Mariners (the line was so popular they probably wanted all the sales for themself).

Yami also built a twin 60 horse Mariner. In any case, any Mariner built by Yamaha (with the exception of the Marathon/6F6) will be a single or a twin."

"Has to be a misprint - all th

"Has to be a misprint - all the 6E9's were definately 2 cylinder models.

In 1989 there were 8 distinct 40 horse Mariner models built by Yamaha.

The first 4 were "C" model twins (Manual Short, Manual Long, Electric Short, Electric Long) with serials all beginning - 6E9 then 009891, 314464, 106224 and 431768 and were copies of the 40FE/40FM/40FEML models respectively.

The next pair of 40's were Kerosene fueled (sold in the Asian market) - both rope start (short/long shaft models) with start serials 6F5 then 001483 or 306108 - these were based on Yami's own model 40GMK (which I have no other information on at all and have never seen one but since it was a "G" model it's safe to assume that it used the 4 cylinder commercial powerhead that became the Marathon/Magnum in later years in the gas versions).

The last pair were the 4 cylinder Marathon models based on Yamaha's model 40G - both rope start (short/long shaft versions) with start serials 6F6 then 018405 or 332945. Until the 1987 model year these had been marketed as the Mariner "Work" model (commercial).

Mercury parts doesn't even have listings for the Kerosene or Marathon (Yami built) models. Merc themself marketed both Marathon and Magnum models using their own 4 cylinder powerhead (which really confuses things if you are talking to a Merc dealer about a Yami model).

But at the end of it all, if the serial starts 6E9 it's a twin cylinder. Yamaha discontinued the "C" models in 1983 (in their decals/colours) so no further innovation or tooling for that model was done once it was discontinued.

They simply kept producing it for Merc until the line was completely scrapped in 1992. This ultimately means that regardless of what "model year" a "C" model Mariner is, it's actual year of production "technology wise" was 1983...."

ok so what are his two motors

ok so what are his two motors and I will try to follow plz

after back tracking in my memory I recall one other time that this was a issue with a 4 cylinder 6E9
again thnx

"They are 1986 and 1989 "C

"They are 1986 and 1989 "C" model, twin carb, long shaft, 2 cylinder Yami/Mariners - the 86 is electric start and the 89 is rope, but otherwise all parts should be identical....

The 89 model would have come with an auto-blend, so it may be spec'd as an "oil injected" model, but hopefully that system was lost along the way
"

"Hands up, I misread the seria

"Hands up, I misread the serial number first time around. They are 40EL and 40WL (not 40ML as I stated previously). Sorry. Does this change things?"

thats god news Alasdair

so

thats god news Alasdair

so graham I am assuming then the info in my dealer book is that they moved the 88 and 89 6E9's into the 4 cylinder section by mistake

"i have trouble starting my 40

"i have trouble starting my 40 hp elpto mariner engine, i took my boat out last Saturday and it started allright after laying up for a couple of months , i travelled maybe 1 mile and anchored and turned engine off for a couple of hours and did some fishing then when it was time to restart engine i couldnt get any response, cleaned out fuel fislter did spark plugs and left to dry , still no start, battery is fully charged. any help most kindly accepted before i take it to be serviced again , engine has had hardly any use since purchase in 2006 ...berny"

"bernard you should start a ne

"bernard you should start a new discussion and someone with more knowledge may see it,at a guess bad gas,clog in fuel line,pump"

I have a 40HP twin cyl 2 carb

I have a 40HP twin cyl 2 carb oil injection mariner with no spark. the ser No is 6E9 S 150326. can anyone tell me the year of this engine so that i can sorce a diagnostic for the electrics

"Noel many thanks for your ass

"Noel many thanks for your assistance. But i hope you can help further. I have replaced the coil pack without any change, i have also diconnected the kill wire without any joy, i have removed the flywheel and the pickups look fine. Have you any thoughts as to what to do next or where to enquire."

"Ian at a guess I would say sw

"Ian at a guess I would say switch box or trigger.Graham is the mariner expert on the fourm,if you start a new discussion Graham may pick up on it,or someone else more knowledgeable than me."

"Hello,
Hello to ya all and n

"Hello,
Hello to ya all and need a little help . I have a 40hp mariner with the id plate missing but i did find the number 426532 on a dime shape plug on the port side of engine. It is electric start and says oil injected but I believe the oil tank it gone. I do mix the oil with the fuel. I believe it might be a 1987 model but not sure. I am in need of the year or info on it so i can get the proper impeller kit for it. It is a 2 cylinder with numbers on the 2 carbs reading 6e901 A122.
Any help offered would be great.
Thanks
Willi"

Back