Logo

57L 1988 alpha 1 Changing to Synthetic Oil in engine

tuna_man

Regular Contributor
"Im thinking of moving away fr

"Im thinking of moving away from mineral oil. Currently running Penzoil 15W-40. Do they mix? Is it a straight change with filter,or do you have to remove every drop of mineral oil first. Are blends OK for interim period? Engine only 55 hours since last rebuild, its still pretty clean inside. Guy recommended a brand to me a few weeks back, not sure I can get it in oz."

"It's a straight change w/

"It's a straight change w/filter. Mobil 1, Penzoil, 15W40 or 15W50. Merc. has a synth. 25W40."

Do you have NAPA auto parts in

Do you have NAPA auto parts in OZ?

If so or even if not Valvoline makes a very high quality full synthetic and if you have NAPA store it is bottled under the NAPA name.

"No NAPA.
Ok we got Shell Hel

"No NAPA.
Ok we got Shell Helix, Valvoline, Penrite, Mobil 1, Nulon, CastrolEdge, Pennzoil. Guys with Mobil1 which weve got, I think all the above have full synthetic, any thoughts..btw, 5 litres of good mineral oil here is $30. 5 Litres of Mobil 1 is $70. (over double) Do you have the same increase in the states? Oh yeh, how often do I change this stuff? (we dont winterise here)"

"I can buy 5 qts. of Mobil 1 f

"I can buy 5 qts. of Mobil 1 for $24 on sale; regular price is $30. I use it in my boat, SUVs and truck. Both SUV's get their oil changed every 5,000 miles (8,047 Kms) after 8-9 months which is estimated to be 125 hrs. The truck gets changed annually (about 3,000 miles) and the boat annually (25-50 hrs.).

I would not change it for a year or until the color turns a dark strong tea color. Change the oil filter at 6 months and top off the engine oil level. Use a high quality oil filter. JMHO."

If mobil one is to $$$$

Che

If mobil one is to $$$$

Check the valvoline and let us know how much.

"Yeh, about same as im doin no

"Yeh, about same as im doin now, once a year whether it needs it or not.
btw, Mob1 $70 AUD is equiv to $83 USD, which is why Im postin really, is the extra $53 bucks per oil change worth it? Is the synthetic that much better in these older style engine?
Seems to me you guys get the synthetic quite cheap, so why not use it.
ghost Im checkin valv prices, will let you know. mark."

"Ghost. i found valvoline, Ful

"Ghost. i found valvoline, Full Syn $57 AUD ($68 USD)normally $63 AUD ($75 USD). only slightly cheaper than mobil1.
btw, I tried the valvoline website lubeguide. It recommends "VALVOLINE PREMIUM MOMO 30" for 1988 260 Mercruiser..this is a mineral oil, for 2 stroke diesel engines, or petrol where mono grade is recommended..confused. Mark.

http://www.getprice.com.au/Valvoline-SynPower-10W-50-5L-Gpnc_641--39314722.htm

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/valv_auMS/default.asp"

"Once you go synthetic....

"Once you go synthetic....you can never go back to dino!!!!!"

Ed:

Please enlighten everyone why; I've never heard that statement before. Any studies to refer?

"It has to do with seal swell.

"It has to do with seal swell...no problem with newer engines and modern seals, but with older engines it will cause oil leaks!"

Do not worry about type of oil

Do not worry about type of oil. use what you want and can afford.

Regular changes is what is important and keeping it from over heating ( over 280 degree)

Ed:

I believe the issue w/s

Ed:

I believe the issue w/seals and synthetic oil is that using syn. oil in an engine w/hardened or worn gaskets and seals will leak. BTDT. Changing from syn. oil to dino oil will make no difference on gaskets and seals.

"Everyone, thanks for all your

"Everyone, thanks for all your comments, my seals are good so even if Ed is right, Im ok.

Im goin to find out more about the $45 Penrite full Synth, if its ok (maybe re-badged Valv?)then Im comin over to the oily syn club..Mark."

Back