Logo

Volvo MD6A oil pressure drop

fr44

"When started the oil pressure

"When started the oil pressure is fine, but as soon as the engine reaches temperature the oil pressure drops rapidly and severely. This problem was preceded by a rise in the oil level due to fuel leaking thru a cracked lift pump diaphram and possibly coolant thru the seal rings of the water pump, both of which we fixed immediately and then changed the oil (SAE 30 weight per spec) & filter. The oil level has remained constant since then. We have verified the pressure issue with two different mechanical gauges as well as the warning light from the Volvo sender. Any thoughts on what the cause & fix may be would be appreciated."

"Check that washer that seals

"Check that washer that seals bolt for idler gear between crank and cam gears has not failed. If it does, oil pressure will drop."

"To Richard Vosbury
YOu repli

"To Richard Vosbury
YOu replied last September to my query about oil pressure drop in my Volvo MD6A engine. Your suggestion that the seal washer on the idler gear might be the cause was correct (it was the plastic washer used on the earlier models of this engine, and the bolt holding the gear in place was only finger tight). The shaft pin for the idler gear was apparently rotating with the gear, and has become a little worn wear it fits into the engine block, so that it no longer fits snugly. I have been able to locate all needed parts for the rebuild except the shaft pin - Do you have any idea where i might find one? If you provide me with your email address I can send you close up photos of the pin, etc.

Thank you for your help.

Bill Finch"

Back