Logo

Corrosion and temp readings

fabarbara

"I seem to be having a problem

"I seem to be having a problem with corrosion on my KAMD44-p. It's on a pursuit 3000, 1998, and is the Stardboard engine. The front of the engine is starting to corrode. I checked all the ground wiring inside the hull and can't find anything loose. Is there a wire on the alternator to check or something else I'm missing?
Second - I live in Florida and have warm water all the time. Is the normal operating temp of 180 degrees OK (no load), and around 200 -205 under load or cruising OK?
Thanks
Frank"

"If I were you regarding the t

"If I were you regarding the the corrosion problem
I would run At speed and make sure that you do not have a leaking saltwater pump seal , or that the seal on the salt water strainer is leaking.
Most corrosion problems on the exposed areas of a engine are due to salt water spray , not electrolis.
There is also a a ground on the alternator -but if it were not making a good contact it could (and could is a key word )show up as charging problems , flickering gauges - all sorts of weird and wonderfull symptoms.

TEMP.
200 deg. is hot.
The 44`s do run warm but even considering the warm waters that you are in it should be looked into.
Water pump seal ?? sea strainer Seal ??

Best luk
BJ"

Thanks BJ - Will try and do th

Thanks BJ - Will try and do the "run at speed" this weekend. Sea strainer is located near back of engine. The corrision is in the front.
Thanks again - will advise once we do the tesing.
Frank

Thanks for the advise BJ's

Thanks for the advise BJ's Marine...I checked for the leak and can't find any. By the way it's not comfortable down there under load. Got anything else?
Thanks
Frank

Back